Atheists are more intelligent than Religious people

But religious schools get better results?

Religious schools tend to take fewer pupils from poor and disadvantaged families.

So would any school which was allowed to be selective in which pupils they taught and could get any of their budget from all sorts of sources meaning that their resources per pupil could be radically different to that of mainstream secondary schools.

Are you conflating education with intelligence?

Some atheists are certainly less presumptive when it comes to fact/fiction. But there will be some religious people who also try to research things beyond the bible.

But are they more likely to delve deeper in search of the answer, rather than accepting what is put before them?

I've just been to a funeral, I go to quite a few these days, and most are fairly secular affairs and non the worse for that.

But this one was different. The lady (very intelligent) was a regular church goer and a firm believer. The full congregation knew her well. They had given her unending support and love, visited her regularly in both her home, care home and hospital, and spoke of the comfort her beliefs gave her towards the end. The service was also personal and beautiful.

I was impressed. I might not share her beliefs, but I have no doubt it supported her, as did her many church friends.

When I compare this to the general callousness that seems to permeate society these days it was incredibly refreshing to see that such love and kindness exists somewhere.

I wouldn't dream of knocking it. Maybe the non believers have something to learn here.

Because atheists can't possibly be secular humanists, moral and generally nice people...

Higher levels of education certainly seem to go hand in hand with an increase in secularism, but there is no evidence (AFAIK) that they go hand in hand with a reduction in moral character or the ability to be a decent human being.

Because atheists can't possibly be secular humanists, moral and generally nice people...

Higher levels of education certainly seem to go hand in hand with an increase in secularism, but there is no evidence (AFAIK) that they go hand in hand with a reduction in moral character or the ability to be a decent human being.

Not saying that at all, but I do think that a general lack of compassion in society seems to have occurred alongside the decline of Christianity, as well as other things.

Not saying that at all, but I do think that a general lack of compassion in society seems to have occurred alongside the decline of Christianity, as well as other things.

What makes you think there is a greater lack of compassion in society today than at any other time in history?

What makes you think there is a greater lack of compassion in society today than at any other time in history?

Where did I say 'at any other time in history?'

I meant in my experience, or lifetime if you like.

Purely my observation.

Religious schools tend to take fewer pupils from poor and disadvantaged families.

Is that true? (honest question).

I went to a Catholic school and quite a few of my classmates families certainly lived in poverty. I wasn't from a rich family by any means, however I didn't live in what I would deem as poverty. :(