What would happen if no one voted in a general election?

With all this talk of politics at present and people losing faith in parties of all colours and all the rest . What would happen if the turn out was so low no party could form a government or no one voted would we decided by who got the longest straw or have another election?

I think they would still have front bench politicians still spinning that it was a great endorsement of their policies!

Serious answer is, I don't know.

one of the parasites would still get in

Guest sibon

Check out the Police Commisioner elections for your answer.

We'd manage. Belgium had no government for ages.

It might take something like this to spark off some real democratic change in UK politics.

It might take something like this to spark off some real democratic change in UK politics.

There is a petition pending at HMG asking for a vote of no confidence in the entire administration. I think they've been puzzling for a while on how to deal with it...

When you look at the UK political system to me it's very dated and not fit for the 21st century needs. We have an unelected House of Lords that's straight out of days when lords of manor ruled the roost the House of Commons ok elected but still class driven. Do we need political parties now why not just have an elected independents for each area and dump this right and left politics instead have someone​ to forward the interests of that area?

Wouldn't the Queen run the country in the interim?:banana::clap::banana:

If not one person voted, the ballots would be tied for each seat and they would resolve the situation by drawing straws, or similar ballot.

Edited by cgksheff

Do we need political parties now why not just have an elected independents for each area and dump this right and left politics instead have someone​ to forward the interests of that area?

I'd like to see the constituency run like a collaborative body: try to pull things together a bit.

I'd like to see the constituency run like a collaborative body: try to pull things together a bit.

Collaboration did not have positive consequences in wartime France...