Windows patch to avert WannaCry attacks

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/450418770/Businesses-urged-to-apply-Windows-patch-to-avert-WannaCry-attacks

OK this is aimed at businesses but I doubt wannacry cares who owns the system it encrypts

If you are at all concerned the tl;dr is you need the MS17-010 patch on your system, if you use windows update you should get it automatically, not everyone keeps their systems up to date though

You can check the details on the Microsoft site here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms17-010.aspx

The following link provides patches from the M$ catalogue for Xp, make sure you choose the correct one, download and install manually, restart.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....aspx?q=4012598

Even better don't connect to the internet using Xp, instead get a computer that is supported, and learn how to get updates ( I've said this to many people alas I might as well talk to a brick wall )

My understanding ref. this latest attack (having read the MS Technet link supplied by esme), is that the patch only applies to SMB servers - by extension, I understand the threat has not been observed on home systems.

My understanding ref. this latest attack (having read the MS Technet link supplied by esme), is that the patch only applies to SMB servers - by extension, I understand the threat has not been observed on home systems.

As I understand it SMB is how Microsoft implement file sharing, as such any system which has file sharing turned on is at risk unless it's patched, not just XP systems

This patch prevents the spread of the wannacry ransomware through a network when an infected PC is connected to it, it doesn't prevent A PC being infected in the first place that's usually done by someone running a program they got a link to in an email. I've had no end of emails asking me to open an attached document or open a zip file when it's an executable instead , so be careful. If you have several PC's connected to a router & share files between them & allow guests then I reckon you're at risk.

I admit to not knowing much as regards SMB, esme, so you could well be right.

I don't have a network set up,although I have three machines, but they have dedicated functions and not need to be networked.

As regards opening links in emails, even if I know the sender, that is something I only ever do after scanning with three programs, and checking where an link will take me.

I spent about 15 years of my working life working with computers (including time in an IT department), so I'm fairly clued-up on security.

As an aside, I've had a home PC ever since the introduction of Windows 3.1, and only once had an infection that meant I had to reinstall a backup.

It is right, SMB is what Windows uses for any network share. Seeing as Windows PCs also have admin shares, such as C$, it's possible to access a Windows machine with the right credentials from another without the user actually having configured a share themselves.

I admit to not knowing much as regards SMB, esme, so you could well be right.

I don't have a network set up,although I have three machines, but they have dedicated functions and not need to be networked.

As regards opening links in emails, even if I know the sender, that is something I only ever do after scanning with three programs, and checking where an link will take me.

I spent about 15 years of my working life working with computers (including time in an IT department), so I'm fairly clued-up on security.

As an aside, I've had a home PC ever since the introduction of Windows 3.1, and only once had an infection that meant I had to reinstall a backup.

If you have a single router and all 3 machines share an internet connection, you have a network setup, it's just not something you make use of.

This virus doesn't disable your PC, it encrypts documents (and music and video and so on). If you have an offline backup, you're probably safe enough in that you could restore it, but reinstalling windows wouldn't recover your data.

Thanks Cyclone - a simple explanation, which I appreciate. The backup question is not a problem - all three machines have monthly images, so the data is still there.

As an aside, this worm does not appear, from reading the links, to affect W7 or W10, so I should be OK - two machines are W7, and the XP machine is not connected to the net, it is only still in use for a couple of legacy programs which do not need a connection.

Edited by RollingJ

If you have a single router and all 3 machines share an internet connection, you have a network setup, it's just not something you make use of.

This virus doesn't disable your PC, it encrypts documents (and music and video and so on). If you have an offline backup, you're probably safe enough in that you could restore it, but reinstalling windows wouldn't recover your data.

I have a hard disc connected to my iMac through a usb lead using Time Machine.

Is this what you mean by offline backup or is data stored in iCloud a lot safer from viruses?

It affects windows 7 and a quick google suggests 10 as well. The patch was released by MS as an auto update though. If you have windows update configured to install automatically then you should have got the patch.

The initial infection comes from someone clicking a link they shouldn't or executing an exe sent in an email.

DB- Connected by USB is not offline, no. That would be a target for encryption. Offline means that you took a backup, and it's disconnected. iCloud documents that were automatically syncing would also be a target.

It affects windows 7 and a quick google suggests 10 as well. The patch was released by MS as an auto update though. If you have windows update configured to install automatically then you should have got the patch.

The initial infection comes from someone clicking a link they shouldn't or executing an exe sent in an email.

DB- Connected by USB is not offline, no. That would be a target for encryption. Offline means that you took a backup, and it's disconnected. iCloud documents that were automatically syncing would also be a target.

I should be OK then - I allow WU to update, but when it is convenient for me.

The following link provides patches from the M$ catalogue for Xp, make sure you choose the correct one, download and install manually, restart.

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft....aspx?q=4012598

Even better don't connect to the internet using Xp, instead get a computer that is supported, and learn how to get updates ( I've said this to many people alas I might as well talk to a brick wall )

Remember that XP Retail is supported til 2019 - that is who it is probably aimed at.