Using mobile phone WIFI with router?

I currently have a TL-WDR3600 router (https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B008RV51EE); which I have connected to a modem that supplies internet connection etc.

I'm wondering, is it possible to use a WIFI usb dongle in the back of the router; in order for router to access internet from my mobile phone (4G data)?

Something like...

1. Phone is connected to the internet (4G data), and has a mobile WIFI hotspot setup; which creates a WIFI network is called 'wifi-phone'.

2. WIFI dongle in back of router connects to network 'wifi-phone' (router has no other way to access internet).

3. Router creates it's own WIFI network, called 'wifi-router'.

4. My wireless devices can connect to 'wifi-router' and access the internet.

I've had a look at the settings on my router admin page; and can't see anything that looks like it will do that.

Is it possible? What should I be looking for? Would I need to use different firmware on my router (openwrt etc)?

I can't see anything in the spec that says that it supports an alternate connection like that.

I can't see anything in the spec that says that it supports an alternate connection like that.

Thanks.

Is that in the spec of the router; or spec for the alternative firmware? Presumably you mean the router as is; hopefully the alternative firmware may do the trick.

Also, any ideas what this kind of setup may be called? Is it bridge?

If you are using the phone as a wi-fi hotspot then why connect to the router?

I sometimes use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot and I connect my laptop to the hotspot. Can't your wi-fi devices just connect to the hotspot directly?

If you are using the phone as a wi-fi hotspot then why connect to the router?

I sometimes use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot and I connect my laptop to the hotspot. Can't your wi-fi devices just connect to the hotspot directly?

Yep, I realise that's an option. I have a somewhat complex setup though.

1. Mac which needs to connect to my main wifi, and has a web-server setup on it, that my mobile devices need access to.

2. NAS connected to my router, that needs internet access and needs to be on same main WIFI network.

3. Also have router setup in a way that may not be possible just using mobile WIFI hotspot (blocking of certain sites; control over DCHP forcing certain devices to certain IP address on my local network).

-----

I currently have an ethernet cable plugged in to back of router (provides internet to my router). Is there a device I can get that will connect to my 'wifi-phone' network and my router with an ethernet cable?

You will need a router that can act as a client cannot find any mention of this in the manual for your router.

New router. Not sure if there is a device you could attach.

Just had a thought, maybe there is a firmware update for the router that could add that functionality.

Edited by Love2print
Add info.

Would something like this (a wireless bridge) work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mini-Wireless-Wi-Fi-Bridge-Vonets/dp/B00KLVDNB6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1494493310&sr=8-5&keywords=wireless+bridge

If I understand correctly, it will connect to a WIFI network, then provide wired internet access (to my router) via an ethernet cable.

Could I just use something like that, plugged in to the back of my router, where I currently have my virgin media modem plugged in?

---------- Post added 11-05-2017 at 10:10 ----------

Just had a thought, maybe there is a firmware update for the router that could add that functionality.

Thanks.

Yep, I was wondering if OpenWRT would work (https://openwrt.org). Though, I'm wondering if the router may not be equipped at a hardware level to deal with multiple WIFI networks.

However, if I can just get something that will work in place of the ethernet cable I have coming from my virgin media modem (which I connect to back of router); that would probably be my best bet.

Yes it should work as long as you connect the router in bridge mode and connect the bridge to the WAN port on the router.

Yeah, I suppose that device should work, but will it really achieve much...

For example, the webserver on your mac, it won't be accessible externally if your IP address changes (which it will if you switch from virgin to mobile) unless you're using DDNS and update it immediately... It will also be considerably slower than the cabled connection (or cost you a fortune once you exceed your data limit).

Yeah, I suppose that device should work, but will it really achieve much...

For example, the webserver on your mac, it won't be accessible externally if your IP address changes (which it will if you switch from virgin to mobile) unless you're using DDNS and update it immediately... It will also be considerably slower than the cabled connection (or cost you a fortune once you exceed your data limit).

Thanks Cyclone.

The web-server on my Mac, I will only ever need to access that from my local network.

I'm currently paying about £30 pm for landline and internet (with VM). I also have a £6 pm mobile SIM (with Plusnet). For an extra £4 pm, I can get 5GB of 4G data. So would be saving £26 pm. Also, don't really need a landline.

Of course, there's a consideration of how much data I need per month.

4G data seemed pretty fast though, when I tried it via mobile hotspot. Are you saying using a wireless bridge would be some kind of bottle neck and I wouldn't get the same speed as I do when accessing internet via mobile hotspot (created by phone using 4G internet connection)?

Thanks.

Connect phone via PC and share connection?

Rest should be able to access via router/wifi then, only downside is the pc will need remain on...

Thanks Cyclone.

The web-server on my Mac, I will only ever need to access that from my local network.

I'm currently paying about £30 pm for landline and internet (with VM). I also have a £6 pm mobile SIM (with Plusnet). For an extra £4 pm, I can get 5GB of 4G data. So would be saving £26 pm. Also, don't really need a landline.

Of course, there's a consideration of how much data I need per month.

4G data seemed pretty fast though, when I tried it via mobile hotspot. Are you saying using a wireless bridge would be some kind of bottle neck and I wouldn't get the same speed as I do when accessing internet via mobile hotspot (created by phone using 4G internet connection)?

Thanks.

You can use GlassWire to monitor how much bandwidth you are using. Also VM should keep a record so ask them how much you use per month. You might be surprised at just how much you download.

In regards to speed, in theory VM should be faster but I can tell you from personal experience just how slow VM can be. We should have been getting up 200mb in S5, 10-12mb in the evening was common sometimes as low as 4mb. I would switch to using my 4G on my phone as sometimes it was faster - I got fed up of videos stopping and starting.

When in S9 we should have be getting 150mb and that was what we were getting most of the time but the S5 area is oversubscribed so we left. First we used Sky and now on Plusnet.

Best thing to do is check your speed at different points during the day over a couple of weeks. You'll get an idea what you are really getting opposed to what VM advertise.