Rubble between garden boundaries

I have recently moved into a council property and on starting to clear the garden I have come across a mound of rocks/rubble and planks of wood between the boundary of our garden and the one at the back of us, enough to fill a small skip. I telephoned the council and asked if they were able to clear the area as it doesn't belong to me or the neighbouring property but they have said that as the rubbish is not on anyone's garden then we should just fence the garden off and ignore the rubbish. Has anyone had a similar experience as I thought the council would prefer to keep areas clean and tidy. I would have hired a skip myself if it was my stuff to move but don't see why I should have to pay the cost.

Are both houses (yours and the rear one) still owned by the Council?

If so, it should be their responsibility no matter on which side of the line- as the boundary is artificial.

Mine is owned by the council but i'm not sure if the other property is. i'm sure I could find out though. The council did actually send out three workmen to look at the rubbish and they insisted they couldn't take it but did say that if it was on our garden they wouldn't have a problem removing it.

Mine is owned by the council but i'm not sure if the other property is. i'm sure I could find out though. The council did actually send out three workmen to look at the rubbish and they insisted they couldn't take it but did say that if it was on our garden they wouldn't have a problem removing it.

To make sure: contact HM Land Registry and verify (for each of the houses):

a. who owns it; and

b. where its general boundaries (on the title plan) are.

There might also be other deeds/plans to which the entries refer, and those plans would be at a larger scale- so much more likely to pinpoint the extents.

Can anyone contact the Land Registry and would they be happy to give out that information?

Move the rubbish into your garden and ring council again

Move the rubbish into your garden and ring council again

Would council have a record of visiting said property over rubble and could send same workers out who know about it ?

I will let you know what I find out from the land registry. I asked the workmen about moving the rubbish into the garden and they said they would be reporting back that the only rubbish there was between the boundary and not on the garden. I don't know why they just cant clear it away because someone is going to have to. It may be between the gardens but I like to have a clean area surrounding my home, it may not bother some people but it does me.

I will let you know what I find out from the land registry. I asked the workmen about moving the rubbish into the garden and they said they would be reporting back that the only rubbish there was between the boundary and not on the garden. I don't know why they just cant clear it away because someone is going to have to. It may be between the gardens but I like to have a clean area surrounding my home, it may not bother some people but it does me.

If they have said "between the boundaries" then this implies they already know the position of each boundary? However there is unlikely to be any "no mans land" so in that case there must be a single, defined boundary. The rubble must lie on one garden or the other, or both.

The other garden could be council (or ex-council) but this would not alter the position of the boundary.

As Jeffrey said, a Land Registry search should provide the information although the Council Housing Dept. normally have ready access to similar plans.

People next door to me had a similar problem, officials from Housing visited and confirmed the legal boundary line.