Relocating and need advice about good areas to live

Hi, I am wanting to relocate frm Wales to Sheffield as I need a fresh start. However I am totally lost on were a good area to live. I spent hrs trying to find a three bedroom in a decent area for around £ 500 a month , I have been warned about some areas .So I was wondering if anyone can help? I need good access to public transport & ideally not to far away from shops etc as I have a teenager.Any advice would be gratefully accepted thanks

Where in the city do you want to be, North, South, West etc??

500 for a 3 bed is probably pushing it for most decent areas to be honest.

Maybe worth considering 2 bed places or upping your budget.

Where in the city do you want to be, North, South, West etc??

500 for a 3 bed is probably pushing it for most decent areas to be honest.

Maybe worth considering 2 bed places or upping your budget.

Even in the quieter areas of Rotherham that would be pushing it. I was going to suggest somewhere in Rotherham but close to Sheffield, close to bus and train routes with easy access to Parkgate, Rotherham or Meadowhall.

£500 for a three bed will be too little for what many would consider to be the "decent" areas. It you had more like £650 you'd be ok though. Could you up your budget? or as someone else said, consider a 2-bed?

Have to agree with what others have said. £500 pcm does not even match the LHA rates for a 3 bed in Sheffield (£504.96 pcm) so you will be very limited in where you can rent for that amount.

You can find the occasional 3 bed property for around £575 in the S8 areas of Woodseats/ Nether Edge (roads off Abbeydale Road) which is a nice area. Or Heeley S8/ S2.

If you want other "decent" places in the south west area of the city like Crookes, Dore, Totley, Crosspool, Fulwood, Greystones etc you really will need to up your budget to at least £650-750 pcm.

£500 for a 3 bed may get you a place in Lowedges (S8), Wybourn (S2), Page Hall (S4), Firth park (S5) and Norfolk Park (S2) but these aren't the most desirable areas.

The standard price for a 3-bed in the more "desirable" south west suburbs like Crookes, Greystones, Nether Edge, Hunter's Bar, Meersbrook and Woodseats will be in the 650+ area but you might find something in "basic" condition for less, particularly in Woodseats or possibly Walkley in the North West. The poster who mentioned Heeley has a point, but I think you're going to end up looking further afield than that even.

They have "flat share" across the photos.

No, this is £545 for the whole house. Plenty do say per person or house share, but not this one.

No, this is £545 for the whole house. Plenty do say per person or house share, but not this one.

I can see the link has brought up a different picture this time. You are right, no flat share coming up on corner of photos.

I'm so glad I bought my house as a youngster.....renting is so expensive these days. : I would hate to have to pay rent when I look at todays prices. Sorry to the OP for commenting but I do feel your pain with rental prices.

There are a few houses at a little over the £500 price in reasonable areas, though not many. For example a small terrace in Crookes for £545:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-41261256.html

Nice area, lotsof amenities and busses every 4 or 5 mins. £545 suggests the house is awful or they want it let Asap.

Hi, I looking to move & no next to nothing about Sheffield & it areas . However a friend of mine has told me to stay clear of the S5 area . Is this area really not a good place to live in ? I got viewing book for a house in Pollard Rd & wheldrake Rd but been told this is a bad area . I was wondering if my friend was right about the S5 area ??