Your best song NEVER to reach no 1

Led Zep - Stairway To Heaven - not even released as a single in the UK (except by Rolf Harris!)

Queen - We are the Champions - number 2, kept off the top by Mull Of Kintyre

Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell - only made it to number 15, the re-release years later made it to number 8

Have you seen Zappas spoof of sth?:hihi:

Just a thought, but since when has volume meant quality? No1 songs are invariably poor bought by people who aren't too fussed by music...Joe Dolce being a good example. Alot of truly iconic moments in pop music history never got a sniff of the top ten. To me, music is an art form and not about how many units are shifted. Pete Townshend once said that he could spit on the British record buying public when I Can See for Miles failed to hit the top ten. He should have seen it as a complement!

Just a thought, but since when has volume meant quality? No1 songs are invariably poor bought by people who aren't too fussed by music...Joe Dolce being a good example. Alot of truly iconic moments in pop music history never got a sniff of the top ten. To me, music is an art form and not about how many units are shifted. Pete Townshend once said that he could spit on the British record buying public when I Can See for Miles failed to hit the top ten. He should have seen it as a complement!

Something to put in his coffee, perhaps?

The song was brilliant and was meant to give them their first top spot-apparently it was a reference to Lsd.Pete Townsend was a bit too bright for the masses but songs like Pictures of Lily and Quadrophenia give a great insight into teen angst.

Two I think,Arnold and See Emily Play,both with Syd Barrett.

I may be mistaken but the single that was released before Brick in the wall was Point me to the sky in 1968, there were none in between.

Now I know you know nothing about music..The Who one of the best Rock bands ever Halibuts reply "they weren't very good".I bet your playlists are a sight to see

I assumed he must have been trolling, to come out with such a ridiculous statement.

'Teenage kicks' by The Undertones.

I assumed he must have been trolling, to come out with such a ridiculous statement.

'Teenage kicks' by The Undertones.

Good choice,a big favourite of Terry Wogan.

Muzzle by Smashing Pumpkins (this poor quality recording doesn't do it justice).

It was going to be the final single of their hugely successful Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness album but they switched to the song Thirty Three after their drummer Jimmy Chamberlin overdosed whilst on tour and was kicked out of the band before he ended up killing himself.

Good choice,a big favourite of Terry Wogan.

And,talking of Wogan,The Floral Dance was a big favourite of John Peel.

And,talking of Wogan,The Floral Dance was a big favourite of John Peel.

Thats right.It was Tel who pioneered the careers the Fall,Pulp and Marc Bolan,while John kept the housewives sweet with The Clash and The Faces.

Thats right.It was Tel who pioneered the careers the Fall,Pulp and Marc Bolan,while John kept the housewives sweet with The Clash and The Faces.

It only seems like yesterday that I was listening to those late night Wogan sessions.

It only seems like yesterday that I was listening to those late night Wogan sessions.

I remember him on Radio Caroline,and I understand he used his Irish contacts to sign up the Pogues,Moving Hearts and the Greenhouse Flowers.