Joseph & Henry Wilson Snuff Mills

Does anyone remember, Joseph & Henry Snuff Mills, Top Mill, Sharrowvale Road, 1950's.

I used to walk past them down Frog Walk on my way to school in the early 50s.

Remember it well my grandfather used to work there and can always remember the smell of him when he used to come home and he was always covered from head to foot in brown snuff, it was in his hair and on his eyelashes, thats probably why he died from emphysema in 1969.

Still there. Apparently all the snuff grinding equipment is still in place, but not used any more.

Julieann who was your grandfather? I used to work there....

i worked in the office at J&HWilson Top Mill April63 til Dec65 i remember if your head felt a bit stuffy you only had to walk inside mill certainly cleared your sinus We used to get free tin of snuff think it was monthly my dad loved it

My father was a rep for some years in the 50's. For some reason, he would bring home a rams head in a wooden box, Dead I hasten to add!! I was enthralled with it's glass eyes!! I would think it would be in a tabaconists window for a promotion perhaps? I think the MD's name at that time was Albert Harland. My father used to take me to his big house on Ecclesall Rd South. I thought it very grand, he had a housekeeper!

My uncle worked there all his life, his name was Frank Lindley

My mate's dad did a lot of work there. Basically maintaining the facility I think

can't remember much about factory staff as i said i worked in office so didn't have much contact girls in office i remember pam ella diane sue i think office manager was called mr bewsey not sure of spelling

My uncle worked there all his life, his name was Frank Lindley

What a name to remember, Aries! I knew Frank Lindley extremely well, which is why I must tell you that he worked for G&H Wilson and Son at the BOTTOM MILL. Both mills were owned by different members of the Wilson family who, I think, had fallen out during the 19th century.

But Frank Lindley!! Truthfully, I would never have remembered his name had I been asked for it, but seeing it in print brought back many memories.

My parents from 1934 and during the war were caretakers of the bottom mill, the scullery of which had a door leading into the despatch room where Frank was the foreman, and a man very good at his job.

My main recollection of him was when I was a very inquisitive child of about seven years old and saw something floating in the reservoir. Frank also saw it, but his first thought was to usher me away from the scene because he didn’t think I should be looking at a drowned person at my age.

I found out later that it was a female who had a mental problem. Sad, but inevitable. But having mentioned the reservoir, it was Frank’s responsibility to lift the sluice gate to empty the reservoir every Saturday morning, and my mother’s responsibility to close it again on Sunday to ensure it filled again by Monday morning 7a.m.

Actually, my father did it and I helped.

I’m full of questions! Did he work there until he retired. I am thinking he did because most employees did. They worked for a good employer. Did he have a good retirement.

My father was a rep for some years in the 50's. For some reason, he would bring home a rams head in a wooden box, Dead I hasten to add!! I was enthralled with it's glass eyes!! I would think it would be in a tabaconists window for a promotion perhaps? I think the MD's name at that time was Albert Harland. My father used to take me to his big house on Ecclesall Rd South. I thought it very grand, he had a housekeeper!

Hi Hetty

I know the Rams head well! I used to call him 'Rammy' he sat atop a set of drawers in the top office, he had a big topaz stone set in silver on his head and silver tipped horns, along with the implements of snuff making set in little silver chains on his head. He was the Rams's horns on all the J & H Wilson letterhead...Albert Harland, yes we had a painting of him in the office somewhere....