Food in the 40s and 50s

Walking my grandkids to school this AM here in Ottawa,,I saw the ground under a tree littered with big pods,9""-12" long

When I got back to my sons house I googled "Locus Pods" sure enough the were from the Honey Locus tree.

I used to buy them from the green grocers on Wordsworth Drive,I seem to remember they were very chewy and fiberous.

Does any one else remember eating them

Walking my grandkids to school this AM here in Ottawa,,I saw the ground under a tree littered with big pods,9""-12" long

When I got back to my sons house I googled "Locus Pods" sure enough the were from the Honey Locus tree.

I used to buy them from the green grocers on Wordsworth Drive,I seem to remember they were very chewy and fiberous.

Does any one else remember eating them

I do remember the Locust pods, but can't remember eating them.

Was more a Cinammon stick, and Liquorice root lad.

Edited by bazjea

I remember those pods Dex, they were sweet too if I remember correctly. Coming down the years a bit, on visits to Greece, you could find them scattered around in the wilder areas. I used to collect them, dust 'em off and wallow in nostalgia.

I remember those pods Dex, they were sweet too if I remember correctly. Coming down the years a bit, on visits to Greece, you could find them scattered around in the wilder areas. I used to collect them, dust 'em off and wallow in nostalgia.

Yes they were sweet ,when I pickup the kids Monday I will see if there are some pods not too dry and try them on the grand kids

I recollect some of the weird stuff our old man used to stow away in the offal variety section,tripe and onions,chicklins and bag,beast heart now that was a no no for me!,the smell put me off!.Off course liver pigs and lamb,kidneys that I love but don,t receive very often because our lass is extremely gippy and I can,t cook,I,ll have to face it she,s got to go,I hope she dosent read this or I,ll starve to death for sure!.

Rabbit stew, jugged hare and pigeon pie, anyone? Mrs Beeton had them all.

echo.

I recollect some of the weird stuff our old man used to stow away in the offal variety section,tripe and onions,chicklins and bag,beast heart now that was a no no for me!,the smell put me off!.Off course liver pigs and lamb,kidneys that I love but don,t receive very often because our lass is extremely gippy and I can,t cook,I,ll have to face it she,s got to go,I hope she dosent read this or I,ll starve to death for sure!.

Udder,I see to remember it was just boiled ,a pinky grey colour not very tasty

My grandfather used to eat cow 'eel with vinegar on it. He used to keep on the cellar head (didn't have a fridge then) and when he brought it out swimming about in the vinegar I made a bolt for the back door.

Rabbit stew, the smell was so distinctive, even though I haven't smelt it for over 60+ years I can gag at the thought.

Now scalloped potatoes and onions I loved, not had it for yonks, we used to have it with pork chops and thick gravy.

Regards,

Duffems

Back in the early 50s I used to visit an old aunt who used to cook pig's face for sunday dinner. A couple of weeks ago I ate at the Cafe Royal in London & guess what was on the menu.........pig's cheek. Looks like some of the old foodstuffs may be making a come back.

Rabbit stew carrot and onions bring it on beautiful food,when we were kids in the 40s and 50s you saw rabbits hung in the butchers all the time!.I can't remember the last time I saw one,the last time we ate rabbit was in the 70s a bloke in my local bred them for the pot boosting his beer money!.Also an old favourite of mine , pigs feet my mother had them ready for me when I staggered in on a Saturday night,lovely jubbly!.

Edited by old tup

Anybody had beast's cheek lately. Melt in your mouth. Find your own recipe.

Bang on tup, usual food for the masses. Cheap to buy & easy to make. About 7 or 8 years ago I had a rabbit pie in the Yorkshire Bridge, but somehow it wasn't quite right.