Ellis in Sheffield

I'm currently researching my family tree. Part of my father's line includes the Ellis Family who were from the Crookes area. My father's family were listed at living at 44 Toyne Street in the 1911 Census. There were 3 children Walter Ellis (My Grandfather), Gertrude Ellis & Joseph Ellis. Their parents were called Walter Ellis & Beatrice Ellis. I know my Grandfather Walter Ellis was married before he married my grandmother and they had a child (we think called Keith). Joseph Ellis (my father's Uncle) married a lady called Dorothy. There are records of the Ellis Family living at 44 Toyne Street in the 1911 Census and I think Joseph Ellis and family lived on Minto Road. Walter Ellis (My Great Grandfather) was a cabinet maker and I think he had a shop in Crookes for a while.

My Grandmother Gladys Hall was born in Crookes around 1909 at 60 Forres Road.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? I would be really interested to hear from anyone at all.

Edited by steve_h1234

I think there was an Ellis family about half way up Stannington View Road, many years ago.

I think there was an Ellis family about half way up Stannington View Road, many years ago.

I worked with a Pete Ellis (former Hallam FC player) He lives on Slinn Street in Crookes and I believe he has a brother also lives in the area.

Think his parents lived on Powell Street in Netherthorpe back in the 20,s 30 s and 40s

Thanks all. All of my fathers side of the family were from Sheffield (The Ellis' s) from Crookes. I would love to find out about my dad's half brother but with so little info it will prove to be difficult.

Good to know I might be distantly related to a Sheffield wednesday Legend though.

Hello,

Does anyone have any info on a 'Kenneth Ellis or Jackson' who's mother was Ada Ellis (nee Jackson). I am researching my family tree and they are in it. I'm not sure where they lived in Sheffield. However, Kenneth was born in 1927. My Grandfather Walter Ellis was Kenneth's father (I believe).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

Hello,

Does anyone have any info on a 'Kenneth Ellis or Jackson' who's mother was Ada Ellis (nee Jackson). I am researching my family tree and they are in it. I'm not sure where they lived in Sheffield. However, Kenneth was born in 1927. My Grandfather Walter Ellis was Kenneth's father (I believe).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

Hi, Steve, do you know if Walter had a sister called Amelia?? Or what the names of Walter's parents were??

Thank you!!

Hi CarolW, Walter Ellis's parents were called Walter and Beatrice ( It think). Walter Ellis the junior had 2 siblings a Gertrude and Joseph Ellis.

Hi CarolW, Walter Ellis's parents were called Walter and Beatrice ( It think). Walter Ellis the junior had 2 siblings a Gertrude and Joseph Ellis.

Possibly not the same family then!!! My great grandfather's sister married an Arthur Ellis, they had 2 children (that I'm aware of) Amelia and Walter (or William - I'm not sure which, I don't have my data to hand!!!) in the Greystones area, I know Arthur had several brothers/sisters who may have then gone to live in Crookes....

The name Walter did ring a bell though!!

I worked with a Pete Ellis (former Hallam FC player) He lives on Slinn Street in Crookes and I believe he has a brother also lives in the area.

Think his parents lived on Powell Street in Netherthorpe back in the 20,s 30 s and 40s

I played football with Pete briefly at Hallam in the mid 1970's, He was a prolific goal scorer & a nice bloke.

Does anyone know of a Kenneth (or Ken) Ellis or Jackson in Sheffield? He would have been born in the 1920s so is possibly no longer with us. It's part of a family tree project. Thanks

There was a Bob Ellis at Owler Lane Intermediate School, blonde haired lad. He would be about 71 now.

Does anyone have any info on a 'Kenneth Ellis or Jackson' who's mother was Ada Ellis (nee Jackson).....Kenneth was born in 1927. My Grandfather Walter Ellis was Kenneth's father (I believe)...
There is a 1926 Sheffield marriage record for Walter Ellis and Ada Jackson, and the births index confirms that a Kenneth Ellis was born in Sheffield in the first quarter of 1927, his mother's maiden name being given as Jackson. If Kenneth stayed in Sheffield, then he may have died in 1993, as the deaths index shows a Kenneth Ellis, born 8 February 1927, who died in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1993.