Walkley does any body remember hattersley st walkley

I lived on this street in 70s does anyone remember this area or lived on this street

I remember it well used to deliver papers on there untill the late 60s. had some relatives on there too.

Hello there

I have only just come across this post.

I lived at 21 Hattersley Street, not sure from when but we left there I think about 1967 or so. The street was cobbled and it had a wall at the end and as kids we used to hop over the wall and play on "The Farm" as we called it.

We lived at 21, which was on the left as you travelled up the street about 5 or 6 houses from the end.

Alan Hill

I am interested in the history of "the Farm" - Rawson Spring Farm and also of the lost Rawson Spring Wood.

I would be grateful for any memories of the farm - who lived there?

Someone told me they rememberd animals there - presumably farm animals. Can anyone confirm that?

If people played on it, was it derelict? What sort of games were played?

JR Wrigley who has a photo of the farm in his "A Walkley Camera" calls it Cook's Farm. Can anyone remember that or explain the name?

Finally, I'd like to get an idea of the topography.

How high was the wall at the top of Hattersley Street (did it take much climbing)? Can anyone give me an idea of where the farm was in relation to the surviving buildings (junior school, infants school, Majuba Street which is still there as a path)

TIA, Hugh

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 22:06 ----------

These streets were long gone when I came to Sheffield but those of you who remember them might be interested in this image at PictureSheffield:

Grammar Street

The description says:

image ref: s16357

Grammar Street at junction with Creswick Street, 1969-1972, No 19, White Horse Pub, No 22, Victoria Inn

Date Period: 1960-1979

If I've got it right King James St is just beyond the parked car on the left and the prominent building in the distance is on the corner of Hattersley St.

Hugh

...If I've got it right King James St is just beyond the parked car on the left and the prominent building in the distance is on the corner of Hattersley St...
That's correct; the White Horse Hotel and the Victoria Inn were on opposite corners of Creswick Street - here is a map showing the camera angle.
...Can anyone give me an idea of where the farm was in relation to the surviving buildings (junior school, infants school, Majuba Street which is still there as a path)...
Here is an old map, centred on the farm, side by side with a modern aerial view of the equivalent area. Edited by hillsbro

I am interested in the history of "the Farm" - Rawson Spring Farm and also of the lost Rawson Spring Wood.

I would be grateful for any memories of the farm - who lived there?

Someone told me they rememberd animals there - presumably farm animals. Can anyone confirm that?

If people played on it, was it derelict? What sort of games were played?

JR Wrigley who has a photo of the farm in his "A Walkley Camera" calls it Cook's Farm. Can anyone remember that or explain the name?

Finally, I'd like to get an idea of the topography.

How high was the wall at the top of Hattersley Street (did it take much climbing)? Can anyone give me an idea of where the farm was in relation to the surviving buildings (junior school, infants school, Majuba Street which is still there as a path)

TIA, Hugh

---------- Post added 23-05-2016 at 22:06 ----------

These streets were long gone when I came to Sheffield but those of you who remember them might be interested in this image at PictureSheffield:

Grammar Street

The description says:

image ref: s16357

Grammar Street at junction with Creswick Street, 1969-1972, No 19, White Horse Pub, No 22, Victoria Inn

Date Period: 1960-1979

If I've got it right King James St is just beyond the parked car on the left and the prominent building in the distance is on the corner of Hattersley St.

Hugh

if you want to know about farm pm your phone number or get mine i will tell you all about it

Thanks Hillsbro for the side-by-side photos.

I think they confirm my belief that the farm was in the middle of the later sports area, and also that the farm boundary with eg Hattersley St was just about where the edge of the sports area is now.

Names I remember from that street are Barber, Drew and Walkland.

Another Picture Sheffield image of Hattersley Street:

Hattersley Street

There is a recent Facebook thread about Hattersley Street and this image including former residents listing names they remember. I am not sure if the following link will work (it is a closed group but easy and quick to join)

Hattersley Street discussion and photo

The FB group is 'Walkley History' and the poster is Carole Haslam.

Hugh