Anybody from Grantham living in Sheffield?

I moved here from near Grantham Lincs in 1989 for a job and have never quite managed to leave. It struck me that surely there must be others. I'm not counting students currently at Uni, of whom there must be some. I know that two other guys from my school Kings (DW and MS) were here until at least a few years ago. Any other southern yellowbellies around?

Yes there are people from Grantham in Sheffield. Lovely place, birth place of a hero.

though its major county town is impressive, those minor Lincolnshire towns are pretty dire really. Not sure which is the absolute worst - it's either Boston or Spalding. Grantham, despite its obvious shortcomings, is one of the less-bad. The big mystery about Grantham is just why exactly the Germans bothered to bomb it during the war. Grantham is not so bad. But Stamford is probably the pick of Lincolnshire's small towns.

though its major county town is impressive, those minor Lincolnshire towns are pretty dire really. Not sure which is the absolute worst - it's either Boston or Spalding. Grantham, despite its obvious shortcomings, is one of the less-bad. The big mystery about Grantham is just why exactly the Germans bothered to bomb it during the war. Grantham is not so bad. But Stamford is probably the pick of Lincolnshire's small towns.

Newark is also quite an attractive little town. All of the places which were on the route of the Great North road have improved since the A1 bypasses were built.

I remember them in the 1950s being a nightmare to negotiate by car prior to that. Lorries were becoming larger and the drivers sometimes had to shunt them around ninety degree bends!

echo.

yes agree Newark is a reasonably attractive town. However it is not in Lincolnshire. It's in Nottinghamshire, a county with an inferior and Catholic cathedral.

yes agree Newark is a reasonably attractive town. However it is not in Lincolnshire. It's in Nottinghamshire, a county with an inferior and Catholic cathedral.

Yes blake, you're right of course. Newark is in Nottinghamshire. My thoughts were obviously centred on the old market towns through which the Great North road passed and not their counties. I could have included Doncaster, in our fair county, but travel through there always seemed to be more straight forward than some of the others on the route.

I'm not sure what the relevance of an 'inferior and Catholic cathedral' has to do with the thread but maybe you could explain. I do know that before the English Reformation all cathedrals in our country were Catholic.

echo.

Yes there are people from Grantham in Sheffield. Lovely place, birth place of a hero.

Yep.

My dad.:thumbsup: