Public sector workers and trade union jobs.

Figures compiled by this newspaper show more than £68 million of public money is spent a year on paying for public sector workers to carry out trade union jobs.

Its an old story, but I assume it still goes on?

I believe Leeds City Council pay one full time union official per 1,000 employees. I guess that is a paid union official instead of paying a line manager to sort out the problem.

What happens in Sheffield, do other councils do things differently, do private companies have this practice?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8815280/Taxpayers-pick-up-68m-bill-for-thousands-of-union-reps.html

It's a complete and utter anti-trade union story.

Public sector workplace trade union representatives are normally allowed paid time out of their contracted hours .

In all probability these representatives will be earning enough to pay tax, thus contributing to their own paid time out.

So what's the problem?

Edited by petemcewan

It's a complete and utter anti-trade union story.

Yes, I agree.

Its quite easy to be anti union without any real facts. Getting rid of full time officials could cost councils more money, because they would have to pay manager to sort out the issues.