Would you take in an homeless person if you had a spare room?

At the bottom of the Moor is a centre for homeless people I think it used to be an mental health service at one time unfortunately I don't know the name of this service. In the window was an poster asking if people had an spare room if they would consider taking in a homeless person either permanently or temporarily.

I simply don't have the room myself but proses an interesting question on how this works. What checks are done homeless or not no wants someone who causes nothing but problems . Has anyone done this?

Edited by crookedspire

I've often thought about this as we have 3 spare bedrooms and I've many times wondered about offering a room to a homeless person with a dog (as I know some places don't let people in who have dogs), and I love dogs and spend many hours worrying about the ones living outside, however I've then also wondered how this is policed and monitored because you wouldn't have a clue about the person you were letting into your home and how they would treat your home and yourself.

It is a difficult one, but would be nice to know how many people would be helped if we felt safe and comfortable doing this.

I've often thought about this as we have 3 spare bedrooms and I've many times wondered about offering a room to a homeless person with a dog (as I know some places don't let people in who have dogs), and I love dogs and spend many hours worrying about the ones living outside, however I've then also wondered how this is policed and monitored because you wouldn't have a clue about the person you were letting into your home and how they would treat your home and yourself.

It is a difficult one, but would be nice to know how many people would be helped if we felt safe and comfortable doing this.

On an more practical level does the charity pay towards the persons food things like that?

True, and obviously normal household bills would increase with more people living there. However I guess having an address would then allow the person to get a job, a bank account etc.

The other issue would be the legalities of what rights would that person obtain to your property, what would happen if you decided you wanted them to move out etc. It's certainly a tricky one!

True, and obviously normal household bills would increase with more people living there. However I guess having an address would then allow the person to get a job, a bank account etc.

The other issue would be the legalities of what rights would that person obtain to your property, what would happen if you decided you wanted them to move out etc. It's certainly a tricky one!

Is it?

Are there any rights that a guest normally gets?

I don't think there are. Even lodgers (as opposed to tenants) get very few rights.

Honestly, probably not. It would have to be in a exceptional circumstance for me to do that and most likely, be a family member or close friend who, for whatever reason has become homeless.

Having somebody else staying in your house could affect your contents insurance cover, you'd have to inform the insurance company or your policy might be void.

Council tax could alter too if you're a single person claiming a single person's discount.

Definitely not and I wouldn't advise anyone else to. I know someone who did with dreadful consequences. Authorities are bad at even basic checks and the majority of homeless have alcohol, substance abuse or general mental problems. If you feel the need to wear a hair shirt give a generous sum to an appropriate charity.

Edited by katerina

Absolutely not, everyday i would fear that they would ruin your house and rob you blind. Nowadays,i have found that helping other people often comes back to bite you...even so called friends. It is the councils responsibility to re home them, if they were and lost it, what does that tell you ? There are alot of empty homes in Sheffield, the council just leave them like that for ages, so despite what they may say, the council either dont care, or dont want the hassle.

Edited by Jerky

How many of the people saying "take someone in, have got "someone"living in their home?!,

How many of the people saying "take someone in, have got "someone"living in their home?!,

Good point....and what about all those rich luvvies, the Celebs who were going to take in refugees:roll: