Points or Performance

I'm not the first one to say Wednesday's performances this season,compared to last year are disappointing to say the least...and the reasons for that have been well documented..

Draws are no good and with the teams above opening a little gap and the teams below getting ever closer..in my mind its imperative Wednesday keep winning if we are to finish within the top 6.

But at this stage of the season...whats more important...3 points or a decent performance..?

Points, make prizes. In competitions . Points for me.

I'm not the first one to say Wednesday's performances this season,compared to last year are disappointing to say the least...and the reasons for that have been well documented..

Draws are no good and with the teams above opening a little gap and the teams below getting ever closer..in my mind its imperative Wednesday keep winning if we are to finish within the top 6.

But at this stage of the season...whats more important...3 points or a decent performance..?

I think you'd get caught out eventually if you continued not to play well. Winning is about confidence. If your playing poorly, eventually your confidence will suffer and will start to lose games.

I've never seen a team get promoted without playing well. Of course your allowed to have a wobble but ultimately you've got to play well.

You ask any manager and I guarantee you winning whilst not playing well would concern them and they'll tell you it will catch up with you.

---------- Post added 08-02-2017 at 11:34 ----------

Performances make points too.

Exactly my sentiments...and we could be 5 points clear of the chasing pack if we win on Friday night.

I have been saying the same as you in Wigan thread.

Scrapping for points is whats needed don't matter if its poor but a result is a result..

You can play brilliant football and not put it in the onion bag.

Not a lot of use..

Points for me anytime !!!!

I have been saying the same as you in Wigan thread.

Results are defying the performances..2 defeats in 13 games...7 wins and 7 clean sheets...is good going in a hard league.

Despite the in and out performances,Wednesday are a tough team to beat and whilst i'd sooner see last seasons performances...the aim has to be top six finish minimum and at this stage of the season,"scruffy" wins like Wigan i'll take all day long..

You'll find that teams that have success have a mix of both, win with flair when the opposition allows and grind out wins when they don't.

A lot were saying earlier in the season that the Owls had been "found out" and some early results suggested this to be the case, they have tried something different to draw out opposition that are parking the bus, while not so entertaining it has worked to a degree, as shown in the games v better opposition they can be more than a match for them when required.

I like how united who have had success with hoofball for the best part of 30yrs are suddenly football purists :help:

Results are defying the performances..2 defeats in 13 games...7 wins and 7 clean sheets...is good going in a hard league.

Despite the in and out performances,Wednesday are a tough team to beat and whilst i'd sooner see last seasons performances...the aim has to be top six finish minimum and at this stage of the season,"scruffy" wins like Wigan i'll take all day long..

Sheriden, did you by any chance hear Carlos talking about the "chicken in the room" on praise or grumble? I'm wondering if i was dreaming now it was so bizarre.

If every (or most) games were like the Wigan game, I'd be very frustrated.

Quite a few of our games have been poor as a spectacle.

Yes, we're 6th, so the results have not been too shabby, but for me, I'd rather watch a Keegan's Newcastle rather than the (then) boring Arsenal.

If we'd been more cavalier this season, we may have battered some teams, but then again, if we'd been more 'up and at 'em' we could now be languishing in the bottom half.

It's a difficult balance, but we're in with a decent chance.

We'll not win the 'Entertainers of The Year' Trophy.

I wish we could do both, and maybe from now 'til May, we will.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

Sheriden, did you by any chance hear Carlos talking about the "chicken in the room" on praise or grumble? I'm wondering if i was dreaming now it was so bizarre.

I read about it...he has a tendency to come out with bizarre comments in each interview...and lengthy answers to each question..!

Sounds like people are confusing performance with entertainment. You can still put in a performance without playing nice triangular passing football.

Defy a poor performance?... Anyone?