Special FX Artist looking for experience.

Hello

I'm 20 and I've been a self taught Special FX artist for just over a year not but unfortunately in Sheffield there isn't many places to get experience. I can do anything from the basics to applying prosthetics and even sculpting and creating Silicone prosthetics. So I was just wondering if there is anywhere in Sheffield that would offer some experience or even just for me to watch them work every so often to get a bit more insight into the industry as it would be a huge help.

Thank you!

Kieran

Given any thought in training to be a hospital maxillo facial prosthetist? I know the profession are worried about the ageing profile of their practitioners.

As an aside, we've worked out how to 3D Print platinum/addition curing silicones.You can see how we do it at http://www.picsima.com :)

Good luck for the future.

Edited by steveroberts
typo

A good suggestion there by S/R

The training to be a Max. Fac. isn't short, you need to do Den. tech. first then an advanced in Max. Fac. which is not available in many cities.

The techniques are changing rapidly at the moment, and some of the old skills will be lost now we have hand held scanners and 3D printing.

I have in the past made a couple of noses and an ear as part of my training, but that was using the old lost wax technique and packing a silicone type material.

The really interesting and technically difficult things are eyes and the surrounding soft tissue.

I now have 3D scanning facilities but no longer do any prosthesis of that type.

It sounds like you have a natural ability for that type of work, but even as a hobby or doing film work it is very enjoyable.

Good luck.

Edited by andrejuan

I have in the past made a couple of noses and an ear as part of my training, but that was using the old lost wax technique and packing a silicone type material.

This is still the way they are made, however we have come up with a method for 3D Printing soft tissue prostheses

The really interesting and technically difficult things are eyes and the surrounding soft tissue.

We've also come up with a solution for 3D Printing Ocular Prostheses as well. It would be useful to know more about the issues to do with the surrounding soft tissue.