The Hop, West One

No 'barflies' standing/seating in front of the pumps either. I'm looking at you Rutland.

That does annoy me when people stand round the hand pumps when there is plenty of seats, I make a point of trying to look through them to see the pumps and give them my "disgust" stare at them, my "disgust stare" gets worse when I drink more.

That does annoy me when people stand round the hand pumps when there is plenty of seats, I make a point of trying to look through them to see the pumps and give them my "disgust" stare at them, my "disgust stare" gets worse when I drink more.

I've seen your 'disgust' stare Peter. Rather often. I wonder why...? ;)

I've seen your 'disgust' stare Peter. Rather often. I wonder why...? ;)

When I catch up with you later once I have been in, as you say, cheaply produced cr@p you get in most bars in Sheffield I shall give you my stare :P

When I catch up with you later once I have been in, as you say, cheaply produced cr@p you get in most bars in Sheffield I shall give you my stare :P

LOL. You love me really. I'm an acquired taste :)

I really don't understand the thinking on this thread . I've got nothing against specialized pubs its up to people on they are willing to pay for an pint but slating other pubs is not fair. On here I've read so and so pub is rubbish when visiting that pub only to find it alright. These so called beer lovers should be supporting the pub trade. Here's an classic case for you the locals told an landlord they wanted real ale so dutifully he ordered it . What happened no one brought one pint of it the barrel ended up down the drain so where was the real ale price no problem gang?

I suupport the pub trade. I drink in pubs that sell beer I like to drink. Ill happily give other pubs a try, and if they dont sell the beer I like, I dont go in again until they do. Like someone else said, you wouldnt eat in indian restaurants if you didnt like curry, so why should I drink in a pub that sells carling, fosters and guinness when I dont enjoy drinking it?

Absolutely - couldn't agree more. The snobbery about beer is unbelievable and equally damaging - with people immediately writing off any pub that doesn't sell speciality beer.

Why would either me or you go to somewhere that doesn't provide something we want to drink? Are you telling me you'd eat somewhere when there was nothing on the menu you liked, just to keep the place open?

"Oh, the new fried insect bar..you must try it"

"But I can't stand fried insects"

"Don't be such a snob, why can't you support a local restaurant blah blah blah...it's people like you who cause restaurants to close!!"

It's called choice. If enough people like John Smiths Creamflow then the pub, albeit at the whim of a pubco, might survive. If not enough people like John Smiths Creamflow, and that's all you've got on then you'll die in a ditch.

there was a thread on here about the white hart at upperthorpe which is a typical "estate" pub.

The landlord has got real ale on in there and advertised as such and straight away someone was on saying that they would be avoiding it as it wasn't to their taste. How encouraging for the landlord.

For me if someone can't find a single drink in a pub that is palatable then perhaps pubs aren't the problem it's them.

Real ale now taken off at White Hart. Slow seller according to management.

Shame really.

Guest makapaka
Why would either me or you go to somewhere that doesn't provide something we want to drink? Are you telling me you'd eat somewhere when there was nothing on the menu you liked, just to keep the place open?

"Oh, the new fried insect bar..you must try it"

"But I can't stand fried insects"

"Don't be such a snob, why can't you support a local restaurant blah blah blah...it's people like you who cause restaurants to close!!"

It's called choice. If enough people like John Smiths Creamflow then the pub, albeit at the whim of a pubco, might survive. If not enough people like John Smiths Creamflow, and that's all you've got on then you'll die in a ditch.

This isn't a comparable situation at all though is it?

Also of course people have a choice but they don't have to run places down if it's not their personal choice.

A comparable example using your analogy would be for me to look at a menu and find nothing I liked and therefore say that the restaurant was rubbish.

I noticed a few weeks ago that "The Hop" and Anchorage (under it's new name which I've forgotten) have both closed.

Does anyone know if there are plans for the units?

And I guess I just wanted to say it's a shame. I liked anchorage particularly, although partly I liked it because it was quiet, which isn't a way to keep your pub open I guess.

The Hop though was normally busy, and the location close to Vodka Rev and at the top of Division Street seemed like a good one for them both, so why have they failed?

I think SOYO are taking over The Hop - it's currently being refurbished.

The Hop seemed to go downhill (in my opinion) after it became BBQ themed.

Guest makapaka
I noticed a few weeks ago that "The Hop" and Anchorage (under it's new name which I've forgotten) have both closed.

Does anyone know if there are plans for the units?

And I guess I just wanted to say it's a shame. I liked anchorage particularly, although partly I liked it because it was quiet, which isn't a way to keep your pub open I guess.

The Hop though was normally busy, and the location close to Vodka Rev and at the top of Division Street seemed like a good one for them both, so why have they failed?

I liked anchorage also and I'm surprised it's closed - it always seemed to be doing ok to me.

I was never keen on hop. I thought it was poorly laid out and the decor was a bit 80's wine bar for me.

I agree you would expect it to do well given location etc.

---------- Post added 02-04-2017 at 11:10 ----------

I think SOYO are taking over The Hop - it's currently being refurbished.

The Hop seemed to go downhill (in my opinion) after it became BBQ themed.

Do you know What will happen with the existing soyo?

Is this Soho moving to West One or the people behind Soho opening another bar? If the latter do we know what kind of bar is being planned?