Waggon & Horses, Millhouses

Maybe. I think the location is a big plus and a decent pub by such a great park ought to do a roaring trade in the Summer. I`d be surprised if the Sports channels remain and I`d expect the food to be a good bit better than Robin Hood plus there`ll be much better beers, cocktails and back bar.

The location ought to be a big plus, but for some reason it isn't. Various owners have tried to make the business work and, in recent years, all have failed. A problem is that, although it is closer to the park than the Robin Hood, it has no garden at the back. The terrace at the front is OK if you want to watch cars go by and inhale vehicle emissions.

Although some customers might be attracted by better beer, I think this is only one of several reasons why people go to specific pubs. Atmosphere is just as important in my view.

If the Sports channels go, they will probably lose my custom, as I tend to go only to watch football on BT sport.

The location ought to be a big plus, but for some reason it isn't. Various owners have tried to make the business work and, in recent years, all have failed. A problem is that, although it is closer to the park than the Robin Hood, it has no garden at the back. The terrace at the front is OK if you want to watch cars go by and inhale vehicle emissions.

Although some customers might be attracted by better beer, I think this is only one of several reasons why people go to specific pubs. Atmosphere is just as important in my view.

If the Sports channels go, they will probably lose my custom, as I tend to go only to watch football on BT sport.

True North's business plan is tried and tested. As a fan of the Broadfield I am looking forward to having one of their pubs closer to where I live. South west Sheffield is poorly served for good real ale pubs and reasonably priced food and I guess they are aware of this.

Always loads of vouchers o their website too if you want up to 50% off. Worth a look if you plan on eating there

When's it opening?

What's the owners reputation from his other pubs?

There is a more recent thread on this. I believe it is opening at the end of February and the owners are the same company which operate the Broadfield on Abbeydale road.

Your post reminded me though that the previous company lasted three years running the Waggon & Horses. The company before, if I remember correctly, ran it for a shorter period. So I wonder how long the new company will last? I wish them well, but past history would tend to suggest that they have no easy task before them.

There is a more recent thread on this. I believe it is opening at the end of February and the owners are the same company which operate the Broadfield on Abbeydale road.

Your post reminded me though that the previous company lasted three years running the Waggon & Horses. The company before, if I remember correctly, ran it for a shorter period. So I wonder how long the new company will last? I wish them well, but past history would tend to suggest that they have no easy task before them.

Past history shows they also know what theyre doing when it comes to running pubs/restaurants. Look at the Broadfield, British Oak, Forum, Old House, York, Common Room, Blue Stoops, Crown & Anchor and Riverside. All doing well.

Yes, Kane Yardley has a formula that works in our area. 12 pubs now and a turnover of £4million. Massive investment at Blue Stoops (near £700000 - ?) but they then served 10000 meals there in December and a couple of hundred grand being spent at Wagon. (Think these figures are correct; there was an article in the star this week). The bloke seems to crack the whip a bit as I`ve seen him doing a check at the Broady. I was supposed to go to the re-launch of the Forum last week but didn`t make it and not been yet.

Past history shows they also know what theyre doing when it comes to running pubs/restaurants. Look at the Broadfield, British Oak, Forum, Old House, York, Common Room, Blue Stoops, Crown & Anchor and Riverside. All doing well.

This augers well and I hope you are right.

I do hope though that they show BT Sports, as this was one of my main reasons for visiting the Wagon recently. I am not your average punter though, as I don't drink alcohol at all now and know nothing about real ale etc.

Edited by NigelFargate

Hello all -

We're pleased to say that the pub will be reopening at 8.30am on Wednesday 1st March. There is more information on our website but obviously the best way to find out is to come down and see us, cheers!

Really looking forward to it. Might even get down on Wednesday.

Looking forward to giving this a go! Haven't had a bad meal or drink at any of the True North places, so hopefully they'll give the Waggon a welcome breath of fresh air and turn it round for good.

Did I read that right?

8:30am!

If it is - a classic opportunity to say 'I was there'