Krynkl, Shalesmoor

So I went in last night. Top floor bar, all open to the air so it was freezing of course. About 4 wood fires. Blankets provided. Comfy seats. Quite hipster obviously. Beer selection OK, some keg and some bottles/cans in the fridge. I had a Magic Rock Salty Kiss.

I'll have no particular objection to going again, but I can see it being rammed in summer.

Joro was very good even when it was upstairs at The Milestone; I can imagine that it would be even better in its proper home, with a good selection of wines.

Is there a lift?

So I went in last night. Top floor bar, all open to the air so it was freezing of course. About 4 wood fires. Blankets provided. Comfy seats. Quite hipster obviously. Beer selection OK, some keg and some bottles/cans in the fridge. I had a Magic Rock Salty Kiss.

I'll have no particular objection to going again, but I can see it being rammed in summer.

I'd have imagined maybe 60s ago big hairy steel workers coming into a crafty old Victorian pub for a few swift pints then off home. There might have been sawdust on the floor, might have been a nice bit of oak or some lovely tiles.

Now, in 2017, pubs are made from shipping containers and are offering blankets.

<<bashes head into desk>>

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 14:03 ----------

Is there a lift?

Probably a winch outside powered by a team of vegans.

Is there a lift?

Yes. Bit of a weird one though, you have to hold the button down until you get to the floor you want, otherwise the lift stops :suspect:

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 15:07 ----------

I'd have imagined maybe 60s ago big hairy steel workers coming into a crafty old Victorian pub for a few swift pints then off home. There might have been sawdust on the floor, might have been a nice bit of oak or some lovely tiles.

It's not a pub though, in the traditional sense. It's a bar.

Yes. Bit of a weird one though, you have to hold the button down until you get to the floor you want, otherwise the lift stops :suspect:

Quite normal. Its called a wheelchair platform lift.

They are very common partcularly when accessing mezannine floors or in smaller shops. They are reguarly installed where is not feesible or cost effective to build a full lift shaft, motor room or deep hydraulic well.

Nothing worrying or sinister about it.

<<bashes head into desk>>

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 14:03 ----------

Probably a winch outside powered by a team of vegans.

Team of vegans farts TFH. More power.

---------- Post added 16-01-2017 at 21:47 ----------

Did he have a thick black tache n clad in leather?

<<bashes head into desk>>.

The hipsters of their day

I have been to the Trib3 gym there. I think this is really funky at first I thought 'What!? Shipping containers?!' but really great and modern!

Try it, you might like it. This city will never compete (if indeed it wants to) with others in the area as we are such a negative bunch. Ah well, more beer for me.

Try it, you might like it. This city will never compete (if indeed it wants to) with others in the area as we are such a negative bunch. Ah well, more beer for me.

Agree. Something different by the sound of it and I`ll be giving it a try soon.

Was in there last night. I have to say, I like it. Sheffield has nothing else remotely like it and it's good to see something new and rather arty and creative in the city - at least I think it is, although I do appreciate I may be in the minority saying this.

The open roof top bar had a feel of similar bars that I've experienced abroad and the place was buzzing. Cocktails were good and the continental beers on draft just added to the continental feel of the place. Seats were comfy, wall heaters were on, music was playing. I couldn't believe this was happening in Sheffield. An outdoor roof top bar with a good crowd, good range of drinks and a really nice vibe to it.

As for Joro on the ground floor...well, I haven't tried that yet. There's obviously a demand for it as reservations are required weeks ahead. Just glancing at the menu it looks interesting and different, and it's got some very good reviews in the Good Food Guide - which is testament to the quality of food they are turning out. Although some of the negative reviews about service are a concern.

The tasting menu is listed as £55 per head for 10 courses - but that doesn't include drinks. Usually with a tasting menu a "wine flight" is offered for an additional surcharge. This is where they match the wine to the courses - I've tried this a few times in other restaurants and I think it's a great way to enjoy different types of wine and food together. However, at Joro, it's not clear exactly what they are offering. It is described as "drinks flight", not "wine flight", so that could be anything couldn't it? And it's an extra £45 a head for that. I'd want to be assured I was getting wine and not just any drink, for that. And my suspicions are raised somewhat by some shocking reviews about this place of what appears to be underhand practice and poor customer service:

One guy claims he ordered a bottle of wine at £23 - (obviously cheapest on the menu). They told him they hadn't got any. So he went for wine by the glass instead. They then served him the same wine that they refused to sell him by the bottle and charged him £8 a glass for 100ml. In other words, they wouldn't sell him a bottle of this wine for £23 but they'd let him buy it by the glass at £8 - which (given that a bottle of wine is 750 ml) means that he'd be paying the equivalent of £60 for it instead! Another guy complains that the waiter constantly referred to him as "pal" rather than "Sir". I must admit, both those things would annoy me as well, in a place that purports to be a top restaurant. So maybe I'm better staying on the top floor of that building and enjoying the continental atmosphere?

:huh:

Edited by DerbyTup