Timewasters on sf - a friendly warning

Hey,

This is just a friendly warning to service providers with timewasters / cowboys on SF.

If someone is asking for seo / web design and is sketchy or evasive its usually a timewaster in my experience.

When people are sketchy about things like payment, scope of project and hesitance to moving forward or they don't answer questions. Its a timewaster.

Ask for details and if they dont give satisfactory answers - steer clear.

Likewise, if they constantly haggle its usually a timewaster or a waste of your time. These are not the clients any Business or freelancer wants. Be aware and stick to your guns. They will be a problem further down the line.

I had one fella pre-contract I built a homepage for in 2 hours, asked for another 2 hours work which I politely refused, then just dissapeared into the ether and stop replying to messages.

This is just one example of the bad Business practice from timewasters who are clearly not legit or professional.

This is only a friendly warning to prevent your time being wasted and I can give you a list of people,PM me, although SF rules prevents from naming publicly.

time is money to business folk.

Why don't you offer a very brief free consultation, say half an hour max? Use this to listen to their requirements without giving much information away. You can both use this meeting to see if you want to work together. Charge for further consultations with an option for them to put this consultation fee towards their website if they go ahead any work with you. I presume you do all your consultations and work under contract?

This balancing act between initial meeting and starting to work together is all part of running your own business. I get customers trying to pick my brains for free. You would be surprised by how many people try to do this in all walks of life. You have to spend some time to get to know a potential customer so you can both judge if you want to work together.

Why don't you offer a very brief free consultation, say half an hour max? Use this to listen to their requirements without giving much information away. You can both use this meeting to see if you want to work together. Charge for further consultations with an option for them to put this consultation fee towards their website if they go ahead any work with you. I presume you do all your consultations and work under contract?

This balancing act between initial meeting and starting to work together is all part of running your own business. I get customers trying to pick my brains for free. You would be surprised by how many people try to do this in all walks of life. You have to spend some time to get to know a potential customer so you can both judge if you want to work together.

Wise words from chez.

I had one fella pre-contract I built a homepage for in 2 hours, asked for another 2 hours work which I politely refused, then just dissapeared into the ether and stop replying to messages.

.[/u]

I dont know if im reading this right but your saying that you built a homepage for a customer in 2hrs, then asked for more work that you politely refused and then the guy disappeared? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, sadly timewaster's are sadly a part of been self employed, nawt worse than turning upto a potential job. Explain how your going to do the job, then you see the realisation on there face on how to do the job... The door always hits you pretty fast on the way out:hihi:

After a few yrs experience you'll start to pick up on the tell tale signs. :thumbsup:

I dont know if im reading this right but your saying that you built a homepage for a customer in 2hrs, then asked for more work that you politely refused and then the guy disappeared? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, sadly timewaster's are sadly a part of been self employed, nawt worse than turning upto a potential job. Explain how your going to do the job, then you see the realisation on there face on how to do the job... The door always hits you pretty fast on the way out:hihi:

After a few yrs experience you'll start to pick up on the tell tale signs. :thumbsup:

Got a few years exp. Cant legislate for the complete amateurs tho.

Haha steve, brilliant link. Thats how it

Goes.

---------- Post added 15-01-2015 at 12:29 ----------

Apart from the swearing!

Haha steve, brilliant link. Thats how it

Goes.

---------- Post added 15-01-2015 at 12:29 ----------

Apart from the swearing!

And you've never had a client who hasn't made you curse :hihi:?

Free in freelance mean free right?

Was written in an email to me about 10 years ago.