Getting multiple job offers..

Take time. But when theres an offer it has an expiry date.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 21:58 ----------

Not even going to dycepher the post. Said my piece from experience on both sides.

I've got a suggestion, why don't you PM Waldo your linkedIn profile link.

I'll do the same, he can take our advice based on what he see's on our professional profiles.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 07:28 ----------

We have horrendous problems trying to recruit QA, but not dev; it's Python though, for commercial web apps, not Java which may well make a difference. We seem to get people falling over themselves to want to work with us, and we don't pay huge money but we have a good reputation apparently.

As an employer, we are in a position where we can just move to the next candidate in the list if the first person we offered a job to is felt to be messing us about. I'm not saying it to come across as arrogant by any means, but we can't be unique in this respect which is something the OP should be aware of.

Skilled IT workers in Sheffield are easy to come by, especially in the sub 30 grand bracket, but I guess Java developers are not :)

Fair enough, I've never been involved in any Python development.

Would you really pull an offer to someone just 24 hrs after it was made?

And would that be due to no response, or a response of "I'm thinking about it, will get back to you by xyz", or both?

I am a contractor, hence why I encounter this situation more often than most.

Each company is still only interested in hiring me on a temporary, but full time basis, so I can only work for one at a time, generally speaking.

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 18:32 ----------

You'd lose a lot of good candidates that way I'd think.

I'd be happy to not work for a company that needed a decision in 24 hrs, particularly if they'd taken longer than that to respond after interview (and only the very fastest have been that quick in my experience).

---------- Post added 04-01-2015 at 18:33 ----------

Nobody talked about playing anything off did they?

Perhaps you've not had a lot of experience of reading?

Oh Cyclone, LOL......

Read post two. You need to work a little on your comprehension skills and your manners.

Would you really pull an offer to someone just 24 hrs after it was made?

And would that be due to no response, or a response of "I'm thinking about it, will get back to you by xyz", or both?

We normally email an offer to the candidate the day after a second interview, once we've had a good chat about it. If they are from an agency, we'll call the recruiter instead, and they pass on the message. If we don't hear back in 24 hours then we start to think something is a bit suspect, and that's due to our own experiences with the time other candidates have responded in. We don't pull the offer, but we start thinking about a possible alternative candidate. Someone saying 'can I get back to you' or the normal 'can I wait until I get it in writing' is fine.

If we start to feel we are getting messed about, then we'll try and get clarification from the candidate as to any reason why they haven't accepted the offer and take it from there, retracting it if we need to. It's not a snap decision.

I think a lot of it is our perception of the desire of the candidate; after all, they have applied to work with us, come to two interviews including a test and have come up trumps and been offered a job - to have them go cold on us after that is pretty frustrating.

I've got a suggestion, why don't you PM Waldo your linkedIn profile link.

I'll do the same, he can take our advice based on what he see's on our professional profile

Waldo can take advice or not from any source. I wouldnt be so arrogant to presume my advice absolute.

I was offering insight from recruiting recently but also being on the other side of the table.

Recruiting developers and IT contracters.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 14:55 ----------

I work in IT. Unless you are talking a dev lead role, everything less than that will have dozens of worthy candidates. Our company; based in Sheffield - gets CVs passed to us from agencies and by hand from people when we aren't even advertising for roles. Last time we advertised for a dev job, we ended up with over 60 CVs to select interviewees from, all graduates with experience and suitable for the role. We had an equal amount of CVs that were discarded for various reasons; grammar, not enough experience, silly salary requests, that sort of thing.

You've got to be seriously good to consider yourself to be a candidate that an employer will bend over backwards for before even giving you a job; or very naive.

I absolutely agree. Developers like all digital should diversify.

Developmemt jobs are oversubscribed with applicants in the sub £30k range. There are some exceptions but on the whole their are a lot of developers around who can do the job and a glut coming straight from uni.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 15:01 ----------

We normally email an offer to the candidate the day after a second interview, once we've had a good chat about it. If they are from an agency, we'll call the recruiter instead, and they pass on the message. If we don't hear back in 24 hours then we start to think something is a bit suspect, and that's due to our own experiences with the time other candidates have responded in. We don't pull the offer, but we start thinking about a possible alternative candidate. Someone saying 'can I get back to you' or the normal 'can I wait until I get it in writing' is fine.

If we start to feel we are getting messed about, then we'll try and get clarification from the candidate as to any reason why they haven't accepted the offer and take it from there, retracting it if we need to. It's not a snap decision.

I think a lot of it is our perception of the desire of the candidate; after all, they have applied to work with us, come to two interviews including a test and have come up trumps and been offered a job - to have them go cold on us after that is pretty frustrating.

Tell me about agencies! Had some frustrating experiences with that process.