Recommend me a linux laptop, please!

I don't know the answer, but it used to be the case that if you were bloody minded enough, rejected the Windows agreement and wiped it off, you could get a refund for the Windows.

They might've sewn that up by now, but I would've thought that it wasn't worth their trouble.

It is possible to get ones with Linux pre-installed. But I have always bought Windows PC's and just installed Ubuntu myself.

What is it that you plan on doing on the laptop? From looking at the specs I'm assuming bit of internet browsing, emails and maybe the occasional typing of a document? The laptop you've picked isn't going to cope with anything intensive but if you don't need it to then thats not an issue.

Dell sell an excellent laptop with linux preinstalled from the reviews I've read.

Dell sell an excellent laptop with linux preinstalled from the reviews I've read.

They have a choice of two.

Plan to use it mainly for storing cryptocurrency wallets. Security is main concern, hence Linux. It won't be connected to internet much (only for transactions), and will have encryption on home folder. Main concern is avoiding virus and malware, so any advice there would be welcome. Thanks.

---------- Post added 14-07-2017 at 10:30 ----------

Also, prefer small form factor, netbook etc.

Hi, I need a small form factor (like, 11.6" display), Linux laptop. Can I get one with Linux pre-installed, or will I need to get Windows and wipe it off (also, any gotcha's with that)?

You could try what this Sheffield man did:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6144782.stm

Linux is easy to install but downloading and creating a bootable USB stick. You can also get various "flavours" that will also work very well on netbooks or under-powered laptops. My personal favourite is Zorin as it is very windows like with its GUI and easy to use and free, but I think they ask for a donation.

http://zoringroup.com/blog/2017/07/04/zorin-os-12-lite-is-here-one-giant-leap-for-lite/

Edited by apelike

Plan to use it mainly for storing cryptocurrency wallets. Security is main concern, hence Linux. It won't be connected to internet much (only for transactions), and will have encryption on home folder. Main concern is avoiding virus and malware, so any advice there would be welcome. Thanks.

---------- Post added 14-07-2017 at 10:30 ----------

Also, prefer small form factor, netbook etc.

You could just put a bootable Linux OS on a USB stick and boot from that on your usual PC when you want to do that kind of thing.

Can't get much smaller form factor than that. ;)

Thanks chaps. :)

Actually, yes, you're both right. USB stick makes much more sense. Just need to run Linux on a USB stick, and have it save any files to that stick, prefer not to have it save anything on the host laptop HDD.

My Windows 10 laptop has this UEFI thing. I tried changing it (in the BIOS) to classic mode, and got the boot drive selector thing up (pressing F12 I think), managed to get Linux running (this was last night) from the DVD drive; but then when I tried booting Windows 10, it wasn't having it.

Is that possible, to have Windows 10 boot, but also have the option to boot from USB and run Linux on USB drive, without it saving any files on the laptop?

Thanks.

Why not buy a used laptop running Windows 7 and reformat it with the Linux distro of your choice?

You need to change the BIOS boot order to USB first (its likely not set to that already).

And also create a bootable Linux on a USB stick.

The PC will then boot into Linux as the first option as long as the USB stick is plugged in. If you want to boot into Windows just remove the USB before starting it up - it will then load into Windows.

You need to change the BIOS boot order to USB first (its likely not set to that already).

And also create a bootable Linux on a USB stick.

The PC will then boot into Linux as the first option as long as the USB stick is plugged in. If you want to boot into Windows just remove the USB before starting it up - it will then load into Windows.

Thanks Love2print.

I'm thinking my Windows 10 will only work when booting in UEFI mode. When I change it to Legacy Mode in the BIOS, I can boot from CD-ROM, USB, etc, no problem. However, if it's in Legacy mode, Windows 10 will not boot.

So, how to get Linux on USB drive, working with UEFI mode?

Original boot sequence was:

1. Windows Boot Manager

2. HDD

3. CD-ROM

4. USB FDD

5. Network boot ipv4

6. USB HDD

7. USB CD-ROM

8. Network boot ipv6

I moved USB FDD to the top, and that didn't work.

I'll move USB HDD to top, and try that. I'm wondering if I need to do anything to the USB drive, such that UEFI will recognise it?

---------- Post added 14-07-2017 at 13:59 ----------

Almost there, just need to make UEFI bootable USB drive with Linux on it...

---------- Post added 14-07-2017 at 14:07 ----------

Looks like I should have used Rufus to create a UEFI bootable USB drive...