Disgusting Sheffield Council Practices

They don't have a waiting list anymore do they?

I thought it was a points-based system where people can apply for certain homes they have the points for??

I thought it was a points-based system where people can apply for certain homes they have the points for??

People have to be on the housing register, or 'put their names down'. Not everyone is eligible, including asylum seekers, some other foreign nationals, some previously evicted tenants etc. The system is called 'choice based lettings'. Eligible applicants may be given a level of priority, depending on their circumstances, age, children, health, current housing etc. It's up to them to then 'bid ' on any suitable vacant properties when these are advertised.

In my previous post, I put a link to the councils housing website, showing properties that are available quickly. They've usually been advertised previously and had little or no interest. Anyone who wants affordable housing quickly may wish to check it out.

The Lettings Policy can be seen here, it's a big read! https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/Data/Pub/PublicWebsite/ImageLibrary/Allocation%20Policy.pdf

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Legal position: SCC are correct. The tenant is not homeless unless the landlord is making him/her homeless.

The s.21 procedure is prescribed by law.

Legal position: SCC are correct. The tenant is not homeless unless the landlord is making him/her homeless.

The s.21 procedure is prescribed by law.

Nothing to stop them looking now at what's available via the council or housing associations. Especially as the OP is a friend.

Nothing to stop them looking now at what's available via the council or housing associations.

Yes, that's true.

"1 out of every 4 properties will be advertised with a preference to ‘Waiting Time’."

This is the same in Leeds, where 25% of the houses are offered to those that have been on the waiting list the longest. I waited 5 years for a council house, a friend of mine waited 10 years and got a brand new property.

The SCC housing register hasn't used 'points' since 2004 when it went to a 'Choice Based Lettings' system, as has been said.

It is still a waiting list and people can still 'put their name down' to build waiting time for a future date, if they don't need immediate rehousing.

But these issues (waiting lists, points/choice-based, etc.) are irrelevant to the main question. SCC do not appear to have done anything wrong in requiring that a possible accommodation-seeker prove involuntary homelessness.

Not fair?

If you had done your research as a landlord you'd know all this already. It amazes me how many landlords think renting is 100% profit.

It can very easily be. Don't have a mortgage and don't let it to people on benefits. Problem solved.

So what I should have done is either charge my friend the £1k+ upfront knowing I'd have to take them to court, before their tenancy began or not done the favour in the first place.

So what I should have done is either charge my friend the £1k+ upfront knowing I'd have to take them to court, before their tenancy began or not done the favour in the first place.

You don't see yourself as a professional landlord but that is the problem - you are. Doesn't matter if it is a favour or not being a landlord is the same as running any business because it is a business.

There are rules that need to be followed. Unfortunately for you your friend can wait to be evicted before leaving. They can choose to leave if they want or wait this out.

Some landlords offer a sweetener to make their tenant leave early. For example offering to pay for moving costs and maybe a deposit on a new property. Depends how quickly you want them out. Not sure if this would be applicable in your case, could your friend move to another private property?

If I could have paid £1,000 to get myself to the front of the housing queue, it would have been worth it, I had to wait 5 years instead.