Former McDonald's on the Moor

I seem to remember McDonalds being a clothes shop in early 80s as Bambers?

Mansfield's - that was it! I'd been trying to remember the name of the shoe shop. I got some lovely brogues there - the height of fashion they were (in about 1963....). Some of us old fogies can remember Redgates being in Fargate....:(

I think the name of the shoe shop was Manfield not Mansfield.

Just above woolworths was a shop called quadrant stationers.

Quadrant Stationers was in the old Redgates shop.

I bought my first 45rpm single from W H Curtis. It was Sitting on the Dock of the Bay- Otis Redding. Curtis were the only shop in town that had it in stock on the day I went to buy it and I'd just about given up hope, I'd even sunk as far as trying the Co-op and Woolworths before remembering Curtis.

Former McDonalds on The Moor

I recall the Lonsdale Universal shop on The Moor, but I don’t remember having ever visited it (but I may have done). I think Lonsdale Universal may have shared the shop with Midland Rentals TV. I’m not sure about it though. This was around 1970/71, or so.

The shop later became Quadrant Stationers in 1972/73ish. The shop was on 2 floors. To get to the basement level you went down a curving stairway with white railings, topped with a light-brown wooded banister. I used to ‘buy’ many of my ‘difficult to get’ football magazines here. This shop stocked some football magazine you couldn’t get from other Sheffield shops(?) - football illustrated, World Soccer and others.

--

Anyroad, not everybody is into football, so a change of subject. Nuddy mags.

On the right, at the back wall (upstairs?) was a fair-sized selection of Adult mags. Some of the magazines I remember (fondly) were:

Relate

Search

Bamboo

Review

Forum (the readers letters were good)

Janus

Fanfair

Spic and Span

Beautiful Britons, and others.

These magazines were very popular for there were many daily casual browsers flicking through the pages after having released the mags from their polythene packaging. It’s worth noting for reasons of nostalgia, that the carpeting in this particular area of the shop was well-warn.

A few feet further to the left were the less exiting magazines: Parade, Playboy, Mayfair, Men Only, etc.

--

A small anecdote.

I was in Quadrants shop one fine rainy day, gendering through the latest issues that had just come in. I’d been for about 32 minutes when a shop assistantess with a screech like voice called out “What do you think you’re doing?” I stood Rigidly Stiff like a soldier erect thinking she’d noticed I was a daily magazine reader who never bought owt. It was with a sense of Relief when I realised she was referring to a bloke who had been stood next to me and was making his way to the exit. The bloke had his left arm in a sling and the screechy bird had seen him slipping a pair of magazines into the sling.

Some of the above mentioned nuddy mags can still be gotten second-hand at:

Anglo-American magazine & paperback exchange, at Spittal Hill shops. Good luck.

--

I did eventually hang up my off-buff coloured raincoyt. It had been crying out to be laundered. It has served its purpose.

I thought it was "Universal Stationers" ? Could be wrong.