Who are the five best players in Sheffield football history.

depends whether now or past,if past

Derek Dooley as hes our biggest post war goal scorer

lane,kay and swan

and peter springett

now or recent times

chris woods

waddle

hirst

forresteri

jack whittam

todays team are a average team compared to many of our past players in my opinion

Peter Springett and Chris Woods? Blimey.

Tony Currie

Brian Deane

Jamie Murphy

Harry Maguire

Alex Sabella

Peter Springett and Chris Woods? Blimey.

Well he might have added the likes of Colin West , Archie Irvine or Sammy Todd to that list. Peter Springett wasn't all that bad the defence was, after the likes of Don Megson, Vic Mobley and Wilf Smith moved on (Sam Ellis was still there) and after Peter moved to Barnsley, he quit the game to become a 'copper'.

---------- Post added 26-07-2017 at 17:53 ----------

Derek Dooley as 'Our biggest post- war scorer' ? I think that accolade belongs to John Fantham, both of them born in Pitsmoor tho'.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Derek Dooley as 'Our biggest post- war scorer' ? I think that accolade belongs to John Fantham, both of them born in Pitsmoor tho'.

Not our biggest scorer but a Wednesday record that will never be beaten. 46 league goals in a 42 game season that only began for him 12 games in. This included 22 goals in 9 matches and 5 goals in 32 minutes.

How many would he have got if he'd been picked in August instead of October?

Yes Jim, I thought that that's what the poster might have meant and Derek was 'bigger' in stature as he was taller than John Fantham. And as for how many would he got ? Well great question a la in Derek's style ,the ball, the opponent's goalie and Derek himself would end up in the back of the net (goal given.) A technique later used by the well built hustler's -Tommy Taylor (Man. Utd), Bobby Smith (Spurs) both Yorkshiremen by the way and Nat Lofthouse (Bolton).

---------- Post added 26-07-2017 at 20:08 ----------

Not our biggest scorer but a Wednesday record that will never be beaten. 46 league goals in a 42 game season that only began for him 12 games in. This included 22 goals in 9 matches and 5 goals in 32 minutes.

How many would he have got if he'd been picked in August instead of October?

If I had to name a great Owls side of five players then that would be ; Springett, Johnson, Megson, McAnearey, Swan and Kay (three south Yorkshire lads in there), The defence. While I'm at it; Wilkinson, Craig, Ellis, Fantham, Finney. (two Sheffield born lads ( and Tony Kay) in that).

Edited by stpetre
Add

If I had to name a great Owls side of five players then that would be ; Springett, Johnson, Megson, McAnearey, Swan and Kay (three south Yorkshire lads in there), The defence. While I'm at it; Wilkinson, Craig, Ellis, Fantham, Finney. (two Sheffield born lads ( and Tony Kay) in that).

Five of the greatest players to wear an Owls shirt played in the same forward line of

the Derek Dooley era , can't believe other than Dooley anyone else has'nt got a mention !

Here's my line - up below . . .

Jackie Sewell - Albert Quixall - Derek Dooley - Johnny Fantham - Redfern Froggatt .

All 4 - Sheffield born lads except Sewell .

All 4 - except Dooley achieved full England caps.

Surely Dooley without his career ending injury at Deepdale would have also

joined this greatest forward line the Owls have ever produced ,

and gained an England cap for his scoring ability .

If only Carlos had this quality of a forward line at his disposal today ,

for the 2017 / 18 season . . . automatics just might be achieved .

But then again . . . would they get the service ?

I'm not quite certain they would . . . does anyone know ? :)

Edited by Southey owl

Five of the greatest players to wear an Owls shirt played in the same forward line of

the Derek Dooley era , can't believe other than Dooley anyone else has'nt got a mention !

Jackie Sewell - Albert Quixall - Derek Dooley - Johnny Fantham - Redfern Froggatt .

Yes Southey, Some of those have been mentioned but (now I'm quoting my dad) some of those 'great defenders' behind them (Fantham era excluded)ie: Walter Bingley, Norman Curtis, Cyril 'Mother' Turton and a bloke they got from one of the Bradford clubs who when defending a corner at the Kop end had no difficulty (when he should be facing the other way) into directing the ball- with his head no less- almost into Penistone Road, perhaps that was Turton ? As of the Quixall-Froggatt-Dooley era, I think the wingers, Dave Cargill and Dennis Woodhead might have been Sheffield lads.

Edited by stpetre
Delete

stpetre ,

Yes Southey, Some of those have been mentioned but (now I'm quoting my dad) some of those 'great defenders' behind them (Fantham era excluded)ie: Walter Bingley, Norman Curtis, Cyril 'Mother' Turton and a bloke they got from one of the Bradford clubs who when defending a corner at the Kop end had no difficulty (when he should be facing the other way) into directing the ball- with his head no less- almost into Penistone Road, perhaps that was Turton ? As of the Quixall-Froggatt-Dooley era, I think the wingers, Dave Cargill and Dennis Woodhead might have been Sheffield lads.

After leaving school, Dooley and Froggatt played both played for Sheffield YMCA.

Like Dooley and Fantham i too was born at Pitsmoor ,but brought up in the same

' neck of the woods ' as 'Golden Boy ' Albert Quixall . . . Southey /Parson Cross.

Dave Cargill was Scots born, whilst Dennis Woodhead was like the previous lads

Sheffield born . . . in fact at Hillsborough, near to his beloved Sheffield Wednesday.

Regarding Cyril 'Mother ' Turton , yes it was him, and he was widely known

throughout as being able 'to run faster backwards than he could run forwards '.

Edited by Southey owl

stpetre ,

After leaving school, Dooley and Froggatt played both played for Sheffield YMCA.

Like Dooley and Fantham i too was born at Pitsmoor ,but brought up in the same

' neck of the woods ' as 'Golden Boy ' Albert Quixall . . . Southey /Parson Cross.

Dave Cargill was Scots born, whilst Dennis Woodhead was like the previous lads

Sheffield born . . . in fact at Hillsborough, near to his beloved Sheffield Wednesday.

Regarding Cyril 'Mother ' Turton , yes it was him, and he was widely known

throughout as being able 'to run faster backwards than he could run forwards '.

Thank you SoutheyOwl, I thought that was Turton (I was too young to see him play) and the reference 'could run faster backwards than forwards' I've heard a few times, The nickmame he had,' Mother', wonder how that came about ? as -according to my late dad- was far from effeminate or had any maternal instincts especially when opponents were running at him and Cyril was facing the right way. 'Din't mess abart that bloke', my dad may have put it.

Edited by stpetre
add

Thank you SoutheyOwl, I thought that was Turton (I was too young to see him play) and the reference 'could run faster backwards than forwards' I've heard a few times, The nickmame he had,' Mother', wonder how that came about ? as -according to my late dad- was far from effeminate or had any maternal instincts especially when opponents were running at him and Cyril was facing the right way. 'Din't mess abart that bloke', my dad may have put it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cyril+turton&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=niv&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&fir=I9dSmTqp-haw8M%253A%252CCdcMV3qAn3rheM%252C_%253Be2VEDqzvyvRYcM%253A%252CHDDLJnrAw8xvGM%252C_%253BONcZvqzmuEY0yM%253A%252CYE7o0e39AeFlgM%252C_%253BPmGMtnofKEXhjM%253A%252CAQDwmQkOyIoxHM%252C_%253BSb4wGTTraJkk1M%253A%252CHAGvt6d-N48iRM%252C_%253BqVP9pfS9mUg4AM%253A%252CBxS7q0zY2UUoIM%252C_%253B_ZxmUHdnmOF1SM%253A%252CCdcMV3qAn3rheM%252C_%253B66CuG8lVzMhBJM%253A%252CaXYVmNEAN-ybAM%252C_%253B_I1luYzl13rDqM%253A%252CAX3BcES2Ogy_tM%252C_%253BsvflqdFvdpPxoM%253A%252C9p33jkfCNpVxRM%252C_&usg=__tle8RM014PMu0563LALaq4gu3bI%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirjujesKrVAhXIDsAKHYY7DmcQsAQIOg&biw=1024&bih=649#imgrc=Dh-zx6jrQ6BXkM:

He's still with us apparently, he'll be 96 in September.

Thank you SoutheyOwl, I thought that was Turton (I was too young to see him play) and the reference 'could run faster backwards than forwards' I've heard a few times, The nickmame he had 'Mother', wonder how that came about ? as -according to my late dad- was far from effeminate or had any maternal instincts especially when opponents were running at him and Cyril was facing the right way. 'Din't mess abart that bloke', my dad may have put it.

Hi stpeter and Jim Hardie,

Here's a photo of the Wednesday team. . . 1951/52 League Div 2 Champions.

Just thought both of you would like to see, including Cyril ' Mother ' Turton

the no nonsense tough tackling ' Centre Half ' as they were known back then.

'Mother 'stood proudly between the legendary Dooley and hard man Norman Curtis.

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/546-sheffield-wednesday-1951/52-team.

Note : Alan Brown coach who later led Wednesday

to the 1966 FA Cup Final v Everton .

Regarding your question re : 'Mother'... i like most,never found out its origin .