Family History - Geneology - BIRKS / ELLIOTT-BIRKS

I have been doing my Family Tree for some time now and have lots of evidence, photos and links, including insurance details from the 1864 flood for my family and the home they had on Holme Lane, war records, BMD certs etc but would always like more information.

If anybody is a relation (with strong evidence) I would also be happy to share info etc

Family names from the line I am most intrested in are (some differences on cencus info re spelling etc)

GEORGE CHARLES ELLIOTT-BIRKS

GEORGE ELLIOT-BIRKS

GEORGE ELLIOTT

GEORGE BIRKS

Holme Lane, S6

Family links/lines to Underbank Chapel, Bradfield, Stannington, Wisewood, Hillsbo'

The info doesnt have to be going backwards it can be modern day info, for example Graham Birks played for a short while at SWFC in the 1970s.

All information will be treated with confidence as its only for my personal use and to build up the history books for my children.

Thanks for reading.

Hi , no idea how big a family the Birks are or were. but just to let you know Birks were involved in at least 1 of Sheffields Breweries in the past, and one of the Birks was the Mayor of Sheffield...hope it's helpful.

Hi , no idea how big a family the Birks are or were. but just to let you know Birks were involved in at least 1 of Sheffields Breweries in the past, and one of the Birks was the Mayor of Sheffield...hope it's helpful.

Hiya

thanks for the reply, i dont have internet all the time, so sorry for slow reply.

I did know re the mayor part but as far as I can tell its not the line attached to us. Intrested in the breweries part though thanks

Hi,

I realise this thread is pretty old, but you never know...  I just put my great grandfather's name into google and I ended up on another page on this site and by accident found this.  I don't have anyone left to ask questions about my family history but I know my paternal grandfather was George Elliott and he is buried at El Alamein.  I've just looked at his war grave record and it says his Father was Frederic Elliott and his Mother was called May.   I know my father's family was originally from Sheffield (I was brought up in Bristol)  and I seem to remember a childhood story about my grandfather's brother dying in a car crash when young.  Any chance you can shed any light?

Fingers crossed!!
Clive

Hi Clive,

Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 19 July 1929.

DEATHS

ELLIOTT_____On July 14th at the Royal Hospital, from injuries received in a motor accident, Frederick Austin, dearly

beloved son of Frederick and May Elliott of 123 Ecclesall Road, aged 18 years.  Interment, City Road, 2.45pm today, Friday.

This burial is on the 'Sheffield Indexers' site and is free to view.  Also in the same grave is:

Frederick Elliott, tailor, 49 years, 6 Feb1906.

Eva Elliott, widow, 62yrs, 9 Nov 1918.

David Elliott, 6yrs, 21 July 1894.

Minnie Margaret Elliott, 3wks, 20 May 1882.

Elizabeth Barstow, widow, 72yrs, 16 April 1898.

1939 Register,  123 Ecclesall Road, Sheffield.

Frederick Elliott, born 1 Dec 1883, Wages clerk, steel works, married.

May Elliott, born 21 June 1884, Sweets & tobacco (manageress), married.

Winifred Eva Elliott (Allsop), born 4 Aug 1920, Wholesale newsagents clerk, single.

May Elliott, widow age 80, died at 11 Derbyshire Lane,  buried 11 May 1965, Abbey Lane Cemetery.

As yet, burial for husband Frederick not found.

Crikey that's amazing, thank you so much!

Clive