Bath Hotel Sheffield

That sounds very promising.

The guests they`ve had at Coach and Horses have been excellent imho (Fyne, Magic Rock, Dark Star). :)

Now let`s hope that they don`t mess with the interior.

Yeah good breweries, but most of them have links with current/ex brewers at Thornbridge and in some cases collaboration brews (with the exception of Magic Rock).

Expect more from those brewers, plus whatevers getting good reviews on ratebeer.com. I would also expect more UK bottles and kegged beers so if we are very lucky we'll be seeing beer from people like Camden & Kernel as well.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

interesting that people are mentioning the cost of Thornbridge beers, and their 'favoured guests' like Brewdog and Marble - the Bath already sells various draft 'Foreign Muck' at a fairly hefty price... or is beer inherently worth more if it's imported?

interesting that people are mentioning the cost of Thornbridge beers, and their 'favoured guests' like Brewdog and Marble - the Bath already sells various draft 'Foreign Muck' at a fairly hefty price... or is beer inherently worth more if it's imported?

It's a good question about the cost of "foreign muck". The way I see it is that it costs more to transport beer from California to Sheffield then it does from Huddersfield and therefore it is not unreasonable to expect a bit of extra cost as a result.

But by the same token when I see a local beer that costs as much as imported exotica then I will ask one or two questions. It's harder for me to justify the price of Thornbridge Tzara on draught then it is for Anchor Steam Beer.

Mind you, I've not been drinking quite as much foreign muck this year as I did in 2011 (other then De Molen Bloed Zweet & Tranen, as I know somewhere in Chesterfield that has some very reasonably priced bottles of the stuff).

P.S I do actually hope that the Bath Hotel might stock some of your beer under it's new ownership. Vane Tempest was very enjoyable.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

Always enjoyed my visits to the Bath Hotel, Thornbridge do seem to be expanding at a very fast rate and at great expence.

But the beers are on the expensive side compared to other local smaller brewerys.

Never even noticed the foreign stuff in the Bath. Always managed to find a reasonable pint of english ale.

It's a good question about the cost of "foreign muck". The way I see it is that it costs more to transport beer from California to Sheffield then it does from Huddersfield and therefore it is not unreasonable to expect a bit of extra cost as a result.

But is it really though, printed on the barrel it will say "Brewed in the UK by Someotherbrewerytokeepthecostsdown"

But is it really though, printed on the barrel it will say "Brewed in the UK by Someotherbrewerytokeepthecostsdown"

As well as enjoying the various guest beers - I've often had a pint of schneiderweisse in the Bath - which

a.is brewed in Germany; and

b. isn't foreign muck

btw - is the old landlord staying?

But by the same token when I see a local beer that costs as much as imported exotica then I will ask one or two questions. It's harder for me to justify the price of Thornbridge Tzara on draught then it is for Anchor Steam Beer.

Mind you, I've not been drinking quite as much foreign muck this year as I did in 2011 (other then De Molen Bloed Zweet & Tranen, as I know somewhere in Chesterfield that has some very reasonably priced bottles of the stuff).

P.S I do actually hope that the Bath Hotel might stock some of your beer under it's new ownership. Vane Tempest was very enjoyable.

fair point about cost of transport. BUT! transport is only one factor, and of course importing does not guarantee quality. You can get Peroni from Italy, or even Quilmes from Argentina... both command a premium price, but both are absolute tosh (er, allegedly, if there's any lawyers reading...). I suppose that was my point - people will pay extra for the privelege of something being imported, but will question paying more for summat local that costs more because it uses quality ingredients etc. Within the real ale sector, there's breweries knocking out beer for £50 a firkin, but they're generally crap (allegedly again).

My own view is I'll question price differences between pubs i.e. why does beer x cost more in this pub than that one, but am more accepting of beer x costing more than beer y in the same pub, if it actually is a better beer

we're all (well most!) willing to pay £2.50 for a pint of beer in the pub rather than paying a quid for a tin of Spesh, on the basis of quality - I wouldn't then begrudge a further 20 or 30p for a better quality beer. At the end of the day, no-one expects to find a bottle of Chateau d'Expensive 1965 for the same price as a Chilean Shiraz, even though Chile is a lot further!

btw we've been in the Bath Hotel once, but lately we struggle to get enough beer for our regular customers!

fair point about cost of transport. BUT! transport is only one factor, and of course importing does not guarantee quality. You can get Peroni from Italy, or even Quilmes from Argentina... both command a premium price, but both are absolute tosh (er, allegedly, if there's any lawyers reading...). I suppose that was my point - people will pay extra for the privelege of something being imported, but will question paying more for summat local that costs more because it uses quality ingredients etc. Within the real ale sector, there's breweries knocking out beer for £50 a firkin, but they're generally crap (allegedly again).

I agree that being imported is not a guarantee of quality, but the transport costs do have a bearing on price and as such it's worth taking into account.

Not to mention that there are happily quite a few imports that do use quality ingredients, and you have to ask if a UK equivalent using the same or similar ingredients is worth the same price given that the transport costs are that much less.

And yes, there is a bit of disparity between venues, which is why I'm currently taking as much advantage as I can of a Chesterfield pub selling a De Molen beer at £3.80 per bottle. I can think of a number of venues which would charge way way more for that beer.

i broadly agree... i just find it perplexing that people will pay extra for a mediocre beer because it's come a long way, but won't pay extra for an excellent beer that's come from down the road

and of course, if you want quality AND distance, you're REALLY gonna pay, e.g. some of the American beers in the Tap...

My own view is I'll question price differences between pubs i.e. why does beer x cost more in this pub than that one, but am more accepting of beer x costing more than beer y in the same pub, if it actually is a better beer

we're all (well most!) willing to pay £2.50 for a pint of beer in the pub rather than paying a quid for a tin of Spesh, on the basis of quality - I wouldn't then begrudge a further 20 or 30p for a better quality beer. At the end of the day, no-one expects to find a bottle of Chateau d'Expensive 1965 for the same price as a Chilean Shiraz, even though Chile is a lot further!

btw we've been in the Bath Hotel once, but lately we struggle to get enough beer for our regular customers!

I'd generally be happy to pay more for a better quality ale.

Me and my mates tend to like the stronger beers and always said we'd happily pay an extra 50 pence/pint at Wetherspoons if they had a regular strong beer we liked.

The Swim answered our prayers when they put Jaipur on regular at £2.30/pint.

Where I object is breweries like Brewdog using the 'Craft Beer' label as an excuse to charge silly prices.

In the Brewdog in Nottingham Punk IPA is £3.00 for 2/3 of a pint.

Why would I want to pay £4.50/pint for a pint of 5.4% beer when Jaipur is just as good (if not better) and only costs £2.30 at Wetherspoons?

I understand Wetherspoons is particularly cheap and would happily pay more for Jaipur, but I certainly couldn't justify £4.50/pint (I'd probably go up to £3.50 max).

Regards

Doom

I'd generally be happy to pay more for a better quality ale.

Me and my mates tend to like the stronger beers and always said we'd happily pay an extra 50 pence/pint at Wetherspoons if they had a regular strong beer we liked.

The Swim answered our prayers when they put Jaipur on regular at £2.30/pint.

Where I object is breweries like Brewdog using the 'Craft Beer' label as an excuse to charge silly prices.

In the Brewdog in Nottingham Punk IPA is £3.00 for 2/3 of a pint.

Why would I want to pay £4.50/pint for a pint of 5.4% beer when Jaipur is just as good (if not better) and only costs £2.30 at Wetherspoons?

I understand Wetherspoons is particularly cheap and would happily pay more for Jaipur, but I certainly couldn't justify £4.50/pint (I'd probably go up to £3.50 max).

Regards

Doom

That does seem a little bit steep was it on keg or cask as we all know if it's on keg you might as well bend over the bar! I've had Punk IPA on keg and cask recently and even for a pint on keg it was about £3.80 and that was at the Shefield Tap who in my opinion have started to take the Michael with some of their prices. As for pints of Jaipur in Wetherspoons I've had so truly suspect pints to the point that i wished that I had had a pint of Ruddles and dropped a Pernod in there! Also I would rather have a pint in nicer surroundings and pay more for it than get a cheaper pint in less so nice surroundings but that's just my personal preference. Trying to compare the price of beer in Werherspoons which can be a not so great pint in a not so great surroundings with a pint of the same beer of better quality in better surroundings is like comparing a Ferrari with a fiesta they both have 4 wheels an engine and an exhaust but one is a lot better overal package. A cautionary note that contradicts everything I've just said would be the bar at the newly refurbished Beauchief hotel terrible pint of Sequoia that must have been sat in the cask for a week it was rank!