News Flash: Server loss and story uploading

Sadly, we have just been informed that the server we have been using for storing uploaded stories is no longer available. The company hosting the server has gone bankrupt and we have permanently lost both the use of the server and all the data stored on it.

If you have uploaded a story to the server and have not retained a copy on your own computer, I am sorry to say it has been permanently lost.

On the positive side, there will no longer be any complicated upload instructions, as the only place you can currently post a story is in the forum here. Just start a new topic with an appropriate title, such as "Story: ..." and away you go.

The main reason that we used an external server in the group was as an attempt to protect members' 'first publication rights'. Our understanding was that a story uploaded to a private server and made accessible only to others who had a password would not constitute 'publication', and thus allow writers to also submit the story for commercial publication. The new state of affairs means that this protection, as far as it went, is not available to you. Any story posted in the forum can be considered published.

Apologies again if this has caused you any inconvenience, but Ron and I look forward to seeing more of your stories in the main forum.

Tallyman

hello to all ,

can any of you guys point me in the right direction as to how to self publish a non fiction work that I have written ? I looked at Authorhouse UK and didnt bother,

Many thanks

Bill Stewardson

hello to all ,

can any of you guys point me in the right direction as to how to self publish a non fiction work that I have written ? I looked at Authorhouse UK and didnt bother,

Many thanks

Bill Stewardson

Have a look at Penny Press. I'm nothing to do with them, but I bought a book from/through them and they seem well-organised.

Does an excerpt from a novel posted on here mean that the complete work is deemed published?