What do you do with mail thats not yours?

I've had a lot of letters from bailiffs over the past 3 years, all addressed to one particular guy. He wasn't the previous tenant so have no forwarding address for him. Whenever I get something addressed to him, I open it because I KNOW it will be about some debt or another. I just then call up the sender and let them know he hasn't lived here for at least 3 years. They seem grateful for the information and I don't have to worry about the bailiffs knocking on my door.

I've had a lot of letters from bailiffs over the past 3 years, all addressed to one particular guy. He wasn't the previous tenant so have no forwarding address for him. Whenever I get something addressed to him, I open it because I KNOW it will be about some debt or another. I just then call up the sender and let them know he hasn't lived here for at least 3 years. They seem grateful for the information and I don't have to worry about the bailiffs knocking on my door.

Yeh, I'd do that too. At least knowing that your home is not under any legal problem is a godsend! I've had some weirdos knocking on my door in the middle of the night before scaring the hell out of me. So, if sending and ringing the companies up directly, I'd do it.

I am glad that the legal system chases the actual individual, then the property address. At least I can sleep at night knowing that my house is not blacklisted.

I recently stayed in a rented place too, and the amount of letters that we got was unbelievable. I just do not know why people are careless and leave their own identity details behind in so many properties. Fraud can happen so easily.

........... I took it into my own hands to literally open the letter to see what it is all about. (I don't know if I have broken any laws doing that.)

Technically ... yes. It is against the law to open any mail that is not addressed to you.

Technically ... yes. It is against the law to open any mail that is not addressed to you.

I wondered about that. That's why I only open the legal looking letters. It normally states that it is on the envelope.

Well, a woman has to protect her own castle too. :)

open it. There's always the chnace of a tesco voucher for free burger baps or similar.

open it. There's always the chnace of a tesco voucher for free burger baps or similar.

Or perhaops a free dictionary in which you can learn how to spell correctly.

I sneezed. Alright:rant::rant:

It always happens like that doesn't it? (checks and double checks this post)

I do the 'return to sender' thing too which works if there's a return address.

The worst is when you get a Christmas card to the previous occupier which (ahem) isnt sealed, so you check it (in case there's a tenner) and there's just a happy greeting message. I've had this for the past 3 years and have no way to contact the sender to tell them their friend has moved house. I'm sure they must think the previous occupier is ignorant by not responding!

I'm sure they must think the previous occupier is ignorant by not responding!
Or dead...