A car question..

I went to see a car today and took it for a test drive. The test drive was literally less than 2 miles (around 5 minutes long ) as i was pushed for time and planned to go for a more extensive test drive tomorrow but on opening the bonnet after this 2 minute drive the coolant was boiling like made. The bloke selling it said its normal which i know it isnt but went along with him to save a row. Another thing i noticed after the test drive was a strong smell almost like rotting fish Anyway im sure this isnt the car for me as im worried about one or two other things on the car but would what ive described worry anyone considering buying a car. I mean, what reason is there that would make the cold coolant boil up like that so fast and so aggressively?

Cooling systems don't boil as they are a pressurised system which raises the boiling point. Sounds like the head gasket has gone or is very low on coolant. The smell was probably the boiling coolant too.

The head gasket is blown, it sounds totally knackered.

I hope you gave that one a miss, it sounds utterly ruined.

The head gasket is blown, it sounds totally knackered.

I hope you gave that one a miss, it sounds utterly ruined.

Yeah, im giving it a miss. I take it the head gasket is a big repair? As for ruined? I had doubts about the power, it didnt seem to deliver it like i expected not for a 300hp 4wd sporty car so you are probably bang on there. Its such a shame though as its a nice car and quite rare too :(

Thanks for your posts guys. I appreciate the advice :)

---------- Post added 24-10-2014 at 21:09 ----------

Cooling systems don't boil as they are a pressurised system which raises the boiling point. Sounds like the head gasket has gone or is very low on coolant. The smell was probably the boiling coolant too.

It was over half way full before i took it for a spin as i had a quick look under the bonnet. i noticed some white residue on the water bottle (some kind of cleaning compound or soap?). When i came back and it was boiling it was around 3/4 full but bubbling like mad. He then took the lid almost off and it went ballistic. I think the silly sod burnt himself a little but he did a dead good job hiding the pain.

The expansion tank will fill up as the pressure builds up in the cooling system but will then be drawn back in as it cools down. Bubbling into the expansion tank could also be a sign of a faulty radiator cap.

The white residue is probably a sign its been botched up with some rad sealer.

Edited by Dardandec
Added info

can i ask what type ov car it is?

Sounds like an Impreza, care to share the link so everyone else knows to stay away??

can i ask what type ov car it is?

Its a Volvo S60 R AWD. I know its a Volvo but i love this model.

---------- Post added 24-10-2014 at 22:42 ----------

Sounds like an Impreza, care to share the link so everyone else knows to stay away??

Am i allowed to do that? Wont it be naming and shaming? Its a Volvo S60 R AWD :)

Yea of course you are.

The name and shame policy is only to stop people slagging off other peoples businesses when there may have been a dis-agreement.

Yea of course you are.

The name and shame policy is only to stop people slagging off other peoples businesses when there may have been a dis-agreement.

Well in that case

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201410238435857/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/9/fuel-type/petrol/radius/1500/usedcars/model/s60/postcode/s122ag/make/volvo?logcode=p

:)

Shame because that is a great model. It sounds like one of the previous owners (probably the guy selling it) drove it to ruin which is actually pretty darned difficult with that engine. I assume that what happened was that the timing belt needed changing sooner than it actually did?

No expert though.