How Many Countries Can You Identify? (Without reading the writing)

I'm interested. How many countries can you identify from just the shape of a country? I ask, because my 2 year old daughter can identify 26 different countries on her world map, whereas I am pretty useless at it without reading the country name (she can't read). So, am I super dumb or is she smart? Or a bit of both? :-P

She is smart :) She is also learning on visual cues which is a great thing for you to find out early from an educational perspective.

I'm interested. How many countries can you identify from just the shape of a country? I ask, because my 2 year old daughter can identify 26 different countries on her world map, whereas I am pretty useless at it without reading the country name (she can't read). So, am I super dumb or is she smart? Or a bit of both? :-P

I don't think there are 26 countries in all honesty ... I'm pretty good at this sort of thing and can only think of Great Britain (obviously), the EU, North Pole, the Far East (including Australia and the bits next to it) and the New World. That's five in total.

You missed out the Moon and Area 51 and a half. Surely both those are countries right I mean the Americans placed a flag on the Moon to claim it before they found there was no oil there.....

She is smart :) She is also learning on visual cues which is a great thing for you to find out early from an educational perspective.

Thank you for your kind reply, I appreciate it :-) It is nice to get a perspective of what is average.

She knows:

United Kingdom

France

Spain

Portugal

Germany

Russia

Mongolia

China

Kyrgyzstan

Egypt

Libya

Madagascar

India

Australia

Antarctica

Brazil

Chile

Argentina

Mexico

America

Alaska

Canada

Greenland

New Zealand

South Africa

Japan

She's quite the geography fan!

Edited by Cheekster

IF you want to have real fun, try it with the counties of the UK.... I try this with my Scouts and it's funny watching them try to reassemble it into a map of the UK (and when they get Rutland and the City of London mixed up....)

I don't think there are 26 countries in all honesty ... I'm pretty good at this sort of thing and can only think of Great Britain (obviously), the EU, North Pole, the Far East (including Australia and the bits next to it) and the New World. That's five in total.

Great Britain is FOUR countries, the EU is NOT a country, neither is the North Pole or the Far East. Think you may be thinking of the five continents Alcoblog.

:):)

Great Britain is FOUR countries, the EU is NOT a country, neither is the North Pole or the Far East. Think you may be thinking of the five continents Alcoblog.

:):)

She knows 'England' but we haven't touched upon the others yet. It's certainly something we will work on :-)

I figured Alco was just being sarcastic... If not, I apologise, Alco.

Thank you for your kind and none idiotic reply, I appreciate it :-) It is nice to get a perspective of what is average.

[snipped for brevity]

She's quite the geography fan!

Haha sounds it! I have to admit that I was an 'odd child' my obsession with geography started later than hers (from age 7-8 if I recall well) my favourite book was the atlas and I would spend days thinking of what far flung places wuold be like. This was all before the internet of course!

I even wrote descriptions of places and countries, mostly based on my fantasy, unfortunately they were all lost in a move. When I got older I would draw outlines of countries, islands, continents and so on and be pretty accurate to the point where my geography teacher saw me draw the outline of Terschelling (A Dutch island in the North Sea) and tell me I had it wrong. I explained, very calmly, that he didn't know what he was talking about, he pulled out an atlas and had to admit I was pretty darned accurate :hihi:.

This all started when, as a three year old, I would travel in the back of the car, peeking out the back-window (no seatbelts back then) telling my dad what cars were behind us, which were overtaking us. Not just the brand, but also the specific model and quite frequently the specification (Oh heit, look, an Opel Kadett GSi.) It was a favourite party trick...

Anyway, point I am making, it's great that she is able to relate this, encourage her to try and expand that ability to other things, she will probably love drawing once her dexterity improves for example!

Enjoy your bundle of fun ;)

She knows 'England' but we haven't touched upon the others yet. It's certainly something we will work on :-)

I figured Alco was just being sarcastic... If not, I apologise, Alco.

No prob ... I'm in a jocular mood today!

To be honest though, there are 196 countries in total. Based upon your daughter learning 26 countries every two years, she'll be sixteen(ish) by the time she's learnt them all! (wether or not the Moon and 'Area 51 and a half' are countries is debatable ... along with Taiwan). :)

I believe there are about 150 countries in all, but I get your point...

That little girl is very clever, I doubt there are many adults can do that nevermind a 2 year old.

Jigsaws of maps are great for getting children interested in geography. I remember as a small child doing a jigsaw of Britain which included things like famous people, landmarks and products from each county.