Lincoln Christmas Market

Been thinking of going to Lincoln Christmas Market.

Before we book the train tickets does anyone have any advice or reviews?

Also I was wondering how accessible the market is from the train station? I've seen there is a shuttle service but no details are provided as in cost, where to get it/where it drops off...

Thanks in advance :)

I've never been and can't help with the train, but my Brother travels down from Huddersfield every year and absolutely loves it.

Regards

Doom

Last year's was so busy, the fair management effected a "one-way" system through the event. Or so I understand, as I've never been.

Last year's was so busy, the fair management effected a "one-way" system through the event. Or so I understand, as I've never been.

Its been like that for a few years. Sometimes its so busy that its difficult to even look at the stalls etc, you just get swept along with the crowd.

Its been like that for a few years. Sometimes its so busy that its difficult to even look at the stalls etc, you just get swept along with the crowd.

That is very true. We no longer go because of this. However, it has a wonderful Christmassy atmosphere, and you can always 'escape' the market area (via the one-way system) and explore the town. All the shops join in the atmosphere and the local churches, etc. all have their Christmas fairs around the town, to take advantage of having so many visitors. Can't help with the trains, we used to go on an organised coach trip, but I don't think there was a through train from Sheffield, I think it involved a change. But do check up the timetables online, I could be wrong. If you want to feel Christmassy and you aren't crowd-phobic -go for it.

Been thinking of going to Lincoln Christmas Market.

Before we book the train tickets does anyone have any advice or reviews?

Also I was wondering how accessible the market is from the train station? I've seen there is a shuttle service but no details are provided as in cost, where to get it/where it drops off...

Thanks in advance :)

I wouldn't've thought you need to book train tickets to/from Lincoln (it's not as if you can reserve tickets anyway)

IIRC the "Christmas Market" takes place in the "Castle Forecourt" between it and the Cathedral, at the top of the very appropriately named "Steep Hill".

The station is in the town centre, near the river.

And at the bottom of the hill.

Once upon a time, and I don't know if it still applies a shuttle bus runs from The Stonebow - top end of the High Street from the railway station to/from the top of said hill.

thanks everyone

Wouldn't mind going myself but I'm not sure it would be worth the journey too be honest. probably just go for the atmosphere, if there is one, and just to bucket list it

That is very true. We no longer go because of this
My mum went for years and stopped going for the same reason. She claims its just too busy to be enjoyable any more.

We've been to the Christmas Markets at York and Nottingham and they were both very good, although apparently Birmingham is supposed to be excellent

I only visited once, and that was some years ago.

As others have said, it's a one way system.

It was shoulder to shoulder and impossible to stop to view the stalls.

I was glad to get out of it!

Love Lincoln as a place to go and have a day out, but wouldn't go to the Christmas market anymore. Ut used to be alot more festive feeling a good few years ago especially when it had snowed and was bitter cold and you had a drink of mulled wine. But now its just cold dank and raining when its on.Far too many people walking round and as others have said your hearded around the one way system like sheep.you can't get to look at the stalls or take your time browsing and even the stalls that are there are rubbish selling cheap watches and tat like that. Like l said Lincolns a great place.the xmas market was ok but not anymore imo.

I've been once years ago and thought it was a bit over rated. It has been a one way system since I went.

Sheffield continental market although not as big sells much of the same stuff, and more accessible.

It was pretty much all mulled wine and sausage, plus a few toys and gift stalls.