Schools, Food and the Elderly

I have just watched that article on BBC local news which involved senior citizens encouraging the young pupils to keep in touch via letter writing. Although almost unrelated this has given me a brilliant idea I think.

I believe now that schools have to provide hot meals to their pupils, would it be possible for a limited number of senior citizens to attend school dinner times as paying recipients of a hot meal, dinner club in other words. This would give the pupils an opportunity to mix with the older generation, it also gives the older generation the chance to mix with the youngsters, and hopefully the donation/price the senior citizens pay for their meals will help offset the cost of providing these meals for the pupils.

I'd be interested in your views as to whether this would be feasible or not, at 10 pensioners per day, and the school providing 5 meals a week, it could mean that a 50 pensioners will have at least one hot meal a week not to mention the social advantage of bridging the generation gap.

I think that's a pretty good idea.

Both the children and the elderly would benefit from the interaction. The only problem I can see is the size of the tables and chairs which are a bit low for the pensioners - they're liable to get stuck.

i'd like to see our schools as much more interactive with the community. Problem is, of course, the vetting process, CIB checks etc required for all visitor/ helpers

Guest sibon

Problem is, of course, the vetting process, CIB checks etc required for all visitor/ helpers

Not any more.

One good thing that Gove did.

Not any more.

One good thing that Gove did.

CIB checks are still needed for anyone volunteering to work with Children, or at least our local school will only accept helpers who pass one.

I think the dinner thing is a brilliant idea, both sides would get so much from it in these days of families split apart lots of Children won't see Grandparents, and older people have just sooo much to offer...agree about the small tables and chairs though.

It sounds like a great idea! As you say both parties would benefit from this, the children would certainly benefit from the wisdom and different experiences that many elderly people have, and it could help those elderly people who don't have families or whose families have moved away or passed on.

It would be certainly be feasible....I remember watching a news item where people who had fought in WW2 were invited into schools and share their experiences with children, so kids could learn history from those who made it.

I commend the OP for coming up with this suggestion, and I'd encourage you to pursue it with local schools, voluntary agencies such as Help the Aged. :thumbsup:

What gives you the idea that I (an oldy) would want to sit and eat a meal with schoolchildren ?

Genuine question....

Another problem is too many parents now think any old guy who talks to kids is a paedo.

Why would you want to put pensioners through that? How cruel.

What gives you the idea that I (an oldy) would want to sit and eat a meal with schoolchildren ?

Genuine question....

Because young children are a delight.

And for some reason they seem to have an affinity with older people.

If you want to see the world from a whole new perspective, be challenged and amused and share your wisdom, spend an hour in the company of children.

If you want to see the world from a whole new perspective, be challenged and amused and share your wisdom, spend an hour in the company of children.

Obviously you have not visited my local primary school

Obviously you have not visited my local primary school

Well I worked in them for years. I can't imagine kids have changed that much since I retired. Have you visited them or are you just going on what you see in the playground?

Genuine question....

I have six grandchildren and spend a lot more than an hour a week with them.

They amuse me, I in return amuse them I'm sure.

Sharing wisdom? Well yes they are interested in my stories of time gone by. In return they teach me all the techy stuff in this modern world.

But......no way would I want to sit down to a school dinner with a load of noisy (other peoples) kids.