Does marriage matter?

Marriage is outdated and should be killed off, a High Court judge

claimed this week. Figures from a 2011 census show that married couples are a minority for the first time. But that's only half the story as another census shows that almost all of today's*teenagers expect to get married some day.

What do you think???

It matters to some people, and not to others. It's a personal choice which people should be left free to make.

It matters to some people, and not to others. It's a personal choice which people should be left free to make.

Stop speaking sense on this forum. You know it isn't allowed :hihi:

claimed this week. Figures from a 2011 census show that married couples are a minority for the first time. But that's only half the story as another census shows that almost all of today's*teenagers expect to get married some day.

What do you think???

The younger generation are the ones who are moving towards marriage. Divorce rates are falling in all age groups below 50

What do you think???

Do unmarried couples chat about their commitments and oaths to each other, this is what marriage forces couple to do.

I am in a monogamous relationship, at least I hope I am, because it being faithfull has never been discussed, just presumed.

So yes, marriage does matter, but it should be over-hauled and become a legally binding contract, instead of a faith based money trip.

You can have an entirely civil marriage, it is a legally binding thing. You can also have a civil partnership now if you wish. You can also have a religious ceremony if that is appropriate to you.

What exactly needs to change?

Do unmarried couples chat about their commitments and oaths to each other, this is what marriage forces couple to do.

I am in a monogamous relationship, at least I hope I am, because it being faithfull has never been discussed, just presumed.

So yes, marriage does matter, but it should be over-hauled and become a legally binding contract, instead of a faith based money trip.

It's only a faith based money trip if you choose it to be. There's many different ways to get married, faith (theistic faith) didn't play any role in mine.

What would need to change, in your opinion?

What exactly needs to change?

the rip-off culture associated with marriage.

Mention the word and the price of function rooms, car hire, outfits etc all gets hiked up, with the accompanying emotional blackmail.

You can have an entirely civil marriage, it is a legally binding thing. You can also have a civil partnership now if you wish. You can also have a religious ceremony if that is appropriate to you.

I might be wrong but I think that only same sex couples may have a civil partnership.

There was some wedding "arranger" woman on Jeremy Vine's show yesterday. Her budget is £1000 per guest!

Marriage matters if both partners commit to it. The ceremony and all that is completely irrelevant and it should be up to the newlyweds how they sort that out. I do think we re seeing more of a genuine understanding of marriage, I have lots of friends who got married and none have got divorced yet, those that are not married but live together with their partner also seem to stay together much longer than they did in the 80s/90s in my opinion.

This is a good thing by the way!

I think Marriage is a wonderful Institution!

I'm Just not ready to be Institutionalized yet...........