Embarrassing yet sincere question.

Heyyy,

So this is extremely embarrassing, but I'm to the point of desperation now. Is there anything in/near Sheffield that sort of help with hardship?

We're only half way through the month, and I've had a continuous financial sh** storm since taking being on the blunt end of a pay cut. I was doing really well, nice house, nice car - a bit of cash left over after paying the bills, but then I lost my job and was out of work for 3 months. I didn't even claim any benefits because I was so dead set that the next job would be just around the corner.

Anyway, I found myself in to a new job in March, and ever since - I've been crawling slowly out of the financial mess I got myself in to. The only problem is, too much of it is too steep and my salary just can't cut it. Thankfully, I'm clear in December - with my attachment to earnings finishing at the end of November, and my car finance being caught up on - but honestly, they're crippling me. The Council have put an attachment to earnings on me, from my previous address that I had with my ex-girlfriend. She left me in June 2012 and we had to keep the house for almost an entire year. The deal was, I paid the rent (being the larger earner), and she pay the council tax. Actually, she didn't pay it at all, and when chased for it - she's denied it, since it was only my name on the tenancy agreement at that point - and she'd signed herself off the council tax. So they've chased me down and I've protested it as much as I could, but in July 2014, they finally had me for it.

It's now got to the point where after I've succumbed to the endless demands, I'm left with just enough money to put some fuel in my car and eat like a pauper for maybe 2 weeks out of the month. It's now got to the point where I've got 6 whole British pence in my bank, no facility to get an overdraft to tied me over, and have even looked at Pay Day Loans. I'm that financially crippled, even they won't sub me a bit of cash - and they're usually the first to jump on the opportunity to loan money, even to the destitute.

My Gas has been cut off 3 weeks ago too, so I'm literally sat in this house with my fingers and toes cold to the bone, wrapped up in a blanket and sleeping fully clothed. I can't cook on the hobs and a week ago, my Microwave decided to just randomly stop working. No power to it at all. My electricity is on a meter and for 4 days at the end of last month, I was sat in a dark house with no power. I made sure to put a bigger amount on it this month, and didn't pay my phone bill - but having checked it, the £30 I put on on the 1st at midnight when my wages hit my bank, is now £12, so I might just make it through if I use the emergency again.

I've eaten 4 slices of bread, separated by Morrisons brand Peanut Butter - per day, for 5 days - up until 2 days ago where that was the last time I actually ate anything. I've lost a little over half a stone in a week and my stomach is in physical pain with hunger. I can't concentrate at work and I'm about 60 miles to empty on my fuel tank, so I'm going to be walking to work on the other end of the Parkway at some point. I can't say anything at work - for obvious reasons, and it's even got to the point where I've told work colleagues I can't join them for lunch, because I've lost my bank card - and when kindly offered money to get lunch - in the casual way anyone would, I can't accept it - because I know I can't pay it back.

I've tried profoundly to do some freelance work, and one person who I built a website for has swindled me out of a £554.78 invoice. An invoice that was going to allow me to clear my remaining £213 with the Council Tax from being unemployed and unable to pay, and the £318 for the remaining 2 months of unpaid car finance. If it wasn't for him, I'd have been fine, having spent a month of my time, 5 hours per night - AFTER work, every single day. I'd have been fine if I could have paid those two off, the Council is taking £230 of my salary a month.

I'm literally at a loose end, I have no idea what to do. I don't have any family I can rely on, no real friends I can rely on - and I sit here wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do - when there's seemingly no avenue to turn to, in order to get by.

I'm not looking for handouts - or anything like that, I just genuinely need some advice on what I can do - or if there's anything established that are designed to help people in whatever way possible or feasible for people in my situation. It's my own fault, for being financially flimsy with what I spent money on when I actually earned high - but at the same time, I'm stuck with it now... and until December, when the Council Tax and Finance Arrears are cleared... I don't know what to do.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by nikki-red

I can give you a bit of shopping if thats any help?

I can give you a bit of shopping if thats any help?

Thanks Member, but I don't know that I could. I feel like an utter charity case - and I have no idea how to handle this kind of situation.

You say your car is on finance, how old is it and how much do you owe?

Is it a petrol or a diesel and what car is it.

Some diesels can run on a veg oil/diesel mix with no problems.

That would keep you mobile cheaper.

What is the fault with your microwave?

If it sounds like its working normally but just isnt warming stuff through its probably the internal fuse. If you dont feel confident in tackling the job ill gladly have a look for you.

Do you shop at the cheaper supermarkets as well as morrisons?

And if you call in your local co-op or asda there are bargain discounted food items to be had, thats definitely the case in my local ones.

I wont insult your intelligence by saying that you have to reduce your outgoings or increase your income, im sure youve worked that out.

Whats the status on the guy that owes you money? Is it still recoverable?

What work is it you do? Some forum members may be looking for someone providing whatever you do.

Keep in touch, youre obviously trying your best but its not working for you due to circumstance. Id be happy to help however i can.

---------- Post added 15-10-2014 at 23:08 ----------

Thanks Member, but I don't know that I could. I feel like an utter charity case - and I have no idea how to handle this kind of situation.

I know where you are coming from Rob, im much the same as i dont like to feel like im putting on anyone either.

You have to get on top of this though mate before it possibly takes you under.

If it makes you feel better, you can always pay back any kindness when youre back on your feet.

Or pay it forward to someone else if the person who helped you expects nothing in return.

Edited by yellowperil

You say your car is on finance, how old is it and how much do you owe?

Is it a petrol or a diesel and what car is it.

Some diesels can run on a veg oil/diesel mix with no problems.

That would keep you mobile cheaper.

What is the fault with your microwave?

If it sounds like its working normally but just isnt warming stuff through it probably the internal fuse. If you dont feel confident in tackling the job ill gladly have a look for you.

Do you shop at the cheaper supermarkets as well as morrisons?

And if you call in your local co-op or asda there are bargain discounted food items to be had, thats definitely the case in my local ones.

I wont insult your intelligence by saying that you have to reduce your outgoings or increase your income, im sure youve worked that out.

Whats the status on the guy that owes you money? Is it still recoverable?

What work is it you do? Some forum members may be looking for someone providing whatever you do.

Keep in touch, youre obviously trying your best but its not working for you due to circumstance. Id be happy to help however i can.

I know this sounds corny, but hang in there son, with your attitude to work, you will get through this.

Hi Yellowperil,

It's an Audi A1. I owe around £20,000 on it having paid off about £5,000-ish since October 1st last year. It's a petrol too.

I don't know with the Microwave... it worked fine one day, and the next - it just has no power what-so-ever. I thought it had just fused in the plug, but having tried multiple ones, it still doesn't turn on.

I tend to just shop at the nearby Morrisons in Catcliffe, but as of late, I have been buying really budget stuff. I've gone to Jack Fultons as few times to pick up some frozen stuff cheaper, but honestly, once everything has been paid, I'm left with about £60, with fuel - it doesn't last. I've even quit smoking in the last 2 weeks because I just can't afford it.

The guy has disappeared from the site Peopleperhour.com, and reappeared, I have an open dispute but I don't know if it will be successful or not. Having researched him and his company, he seems to have cheated quite a number of people - so hopefully that will act as a positive leverage.

I'm a web developer by day, and I've tried furiously to win even the most ridiculous projects on freelance websites for web development, stuff I wouldn't touch in a million years for being way too underpriced/valued in terms of the hours it would take to do something. But nobody seems to be biting... as much as I adore people from all walks of life, and haven't got a racist bone in my body - Indian Web Developers will do it WAY cheaper, so businesses have been outsourcing to them like mad over the last year, leaving us UK developers struggling to land a project. I can build an entire website in less than 3 or 4 days, but even a super fast turnaround isn't seemingly attractive as someone offering the same kind of build for less than a quarter of the budget.

Thanks Yellow,

Rob

http://www.trusselltrust.org/map

I don't know if the above link to a foodbank will be of any use to you, my friend seems to think they have often have advisers attached to them who may be able to help you.

Not immediate, I know, but you could take the person who hasn't paid you to the small claims court.

Do you have anything you can pawn/sell?

Is subletting an option to help pay the rent?

Edited by Mr Bloom

It says that these are for families (in the tagline) but I thought that they were for anyone in need.

http://www.sheffieldfoodbank.org.uk/

EDIT

Just read Mr Bloom's post above and realised that he's suggested the same thing.

I've had Thomas Higgins Partnership send the guy a demand of payment for £2.40, they're like a business debt collector - but if he's a Paralegals solicitor, so assuming he knows the law more than I do, he might be able to bend his way out of that. I'm not sure. I took all of his websites down when he stole the new website off the server and tried to lock me out... it's probably illegal, but I do know I'm within my right to seize services he hasn't paid for, that I developed... I just didn't know what else to do in the immediacy of it - kind of a spur of the moment thing. I tried to get him to pay up, and I'd restore the 4 websites I removed. But he's just complaining at how it's damaged his business and he's really upset about it - sounds like a stunt to present in court and come off as the victim.

I've got a whole bunch of stuff I could try and sell at work that they're throwing away, one of which is a large office desk I've had on Gumtree and Facebook for a few days, but no biters yet.

Hi Yellowperil,

It's an Audi A1. I owe around £20,000 on it having paid off about £5,000-ish since October 1st last year. It's a petrol too.

I don't know with the Microwave... it worked fine one day, and the next - it just has no power what-so-ever. I thought it had just fused in the plug, but having tried multiple ones, it still doesn't turn on.

I tend to just shop at the nearby Morrisons in Catcliffe, but as of late, I have been buying really budget stuff. I've gone to Jack Fultons as few times to pick up some frozen stuff cheaper, but honestly, once everything has been paid, I'm left with about £60, with fuel - it doesn't last. I've even quit smoking in the last 2 weeks because I just can't afford it.

The guy has disappeared from the site Peopleperhour.com, and reappeared, I have an open dispute but I don't know if it will be successful or not. Having researched him and his company, he seems to have cheated quite a number of people - so hopefully that will act as a positive leverage.

I'm a web developer by day, and I've tried furiously to win even the most ridiculous projects on freelance websites for web development, stuff I wouldn't touch in a million years for being way too underpriced/valued in terms of the hours it would take to do something. But nobody seems to be biting... as much as I adore people from all walks of life, and haven't got a racist bone in my body - Indian Web Developers will do it WAY cheaper, so businesses have been outsourcing to them like mad over the last year, leaving us UK developers struggling to land a project. I can build an entire website in less than 3 or 4 days, but even a super fast turnaround isn't seemingly attractive as someone offering the same kind of build for less than a quarter of the budget.

Thanks Yellow,

Rob

Is there a way you can sort anything with your car? Release some equity and maybe downgrade? its quite obvious you cant afford it at the moment.

The quitting smoking is expected as its an unneccesary expense.

The offer stands on the microwave repair if youd like me to take a look at it.

I know that no one wants to devalue themselves by changing their lifestyle or shopping habits etc but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Hopefully it will only be short term and youll have a better understanding of other peoples situations after.

Do you have no heating at the moment?

I mean the demand for payment letter cost me £2.40, to take it any further is going to cost much more sizable sums apparently. :/