Do you just live your life for others?

Mostly, but I don't mind. As you Paul McCartney said, "For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool by making his world a little colder." And there are plenty of people on here that make their world a little colder, I can tell you.

I always think you get out of life what you put into it...............

Make it how you want it to be.

Such as siblings, family, friends etc? If they wasn't around would be there any point to your existence?

No. (message must be longer).

---------- Post added 20-10-2014 at 14:13 ----------

I try to help others but deliberately stay away because I'm very miserable which often makes them depressed. I only stay alive to stop my remaining family grieving. I don't enjoy anything anymore, the only slight pleasure in life now is shoplifting or parachute jumps, but the excitement and adrenaline is I used to feel is now almost gone.

Have you been to see your GP? It sounds a lot like you are depressed.

I always think you get out of life what you put into it...............

Make it how you want it to be.

Not always, but it's better to try

No, but on the other hand, there's not much satisfaction to be had just living for yourself (take it from someone who's tried) either. The point is to find these things out for yourself, be brave, don't just take other people's word for things, read widely, try different things ... get to know yourself, your strengths, weaknesses, what makes you happy.

Being alone sometimes is good but nobody can do everything on their own. If they could that mean someone was perfect but there has never been a perfect human being. The truth is and some people may not like it, people need other people ... unless you want to be a hermit living in a cave or something but even then I suspect you'd have some kind of interaction with other people

Some people need to feel needed. It gives them a sense of purpose. Others are able to 'take' from a relationship but don't know how to replenish it. I have been discussing several such examples today.

That was once said about me, and it is true. I had a lot of love to give, and nobody to give it to. (I am excluding extended family when I say that)

So my solution was voluntary work. I have been a Samaritan, a tenants rep, an appropriate adult, and a school governor. I have enjoyed each role, and I think I have helped a lot of people in various ways.

Age has crept up on me, and I no longer volunteer, but I do miss it.

No. (message must be longer).

---------- Post added 20-10-2014 at 14:13 ----------

Have you been to see your GP? It sounds a lot like you are depressed.

Yes I'm very depressed and have seen my GP, other than offer me anti-depressants which don't work and have strange side effects, repeat all the cliches there is nothing he or anyone can do. I will just have to learn to live with it.

I don't think I ought to say this, but I will.

I have recently lost the love of my life.

Am I to sit and waste time, making those around me miserable?

---------- Post added 23-10-2014 at 02:12 ----------

I am involved in three charities, and feel much better.

Throwing one'sself into other peeps probs makes one forget one's own, I find.

I don't think I ought to say this, but I will.

I have recently lost the love of my life.

Am I to sit and waste time, making those around me miserable?

---------- Post added 23-10-2014 at 02:12 ----------

I am involved in three charities, and feel much better.

Throwing one'sself into other peeps probs makes one forget one's own, I find.

Sorry to hear about your loss, and it's great you can help others which helps you deal with your own problems. But been around someone like me would just make others feel worse. I need to find an alternative method which won't impact on others.

Yes I'm very depressed and have seen my GP, other than offer me anti-depressants which don't work and have strange side effects, repeat all the cliches there is nothing he or anyone can do. I will just have to learn to live with it.

There are alternatives to medication. Speak to your GP again and tell them you'd like counselling of some kind, not medication.