Allotments rent rise 2012

I wonder how many allotment holders who don't make full use of their allotments will give up their tenancy? Or how many people who have plots that are overgrown will give up their plots?

And to rub salt into the wound, the council has decided that even though the water charges already cover the cost of the water provision, they're going to increase them by 50% so that they can start making a profit from providing water.

Well the council needs to send plot holders nice expensive glossy booklets. It's also a huge bonus to provide car-parks that you never see a car actually use, like the one taking up two former plots at Rivelin built despite being advised that plot holders don't actually want it.

It's also a huge bonus to provide car-parks that you never see a car actually use, like the one taking up two former plots at Rivelin built despite being advised that plot holders don't actually want it.

They did that at Hagg House too. Rumour has it that the car park at the top of the site, which only a couple of plot-holders use, cost £30k when it was built a few years back.

Akrasia - thanks for the link to plotlines. I think pursuing the idea that it's illegal to raise the rent by a greater % than other recreational activities is the point worth arguing.

The 'results' of the consultation were a case of lies, damned lies and statistics - i.e. they just pick and chose the ones they want to 'make their case'. The consultation covered plot holders and those on the waiting lists. As MC55 says many of those who only pay 50% are quite happy - and openly said so, both at the consultations and on site. Many on the waiting lists were also happy as they are often so keen to get an allotment they don't see it as a lot of money - nor do they realise quite how little they get for their money!

I asked the question at one of the consultation whether they had figures for people who were already plot holders and paid 100%, and whether they were happy with the proposals. Needless to say they didn't have those figures but did acknowledge they probably wouldn't be! It was also said, approximately 40% of people get the 50% rate.

SCC has the benefit of having in house lawyers to give opinion on whether they have a case, but that's all it is. It doesn't mean they are correct, but the only way they or us will find out is if it goes to court.

I'd guess many people haven't even heard of the Fed and if they have they probably don't see it as relevant to their allotment activities these days - if you've ever been to one, you won't! A minority of people on our site belong to the Association, if they have any issues with their allotment site they go direct to the Allotment Office or councillor.

I asked the question at one of the consultation whether they had figures for people who were already plot holders and paid 100%, and whether they were happy with the proposals. Needless to say they didn't have those figures but did acknowledge they probably wouldn't be! It was also said, approximately 40% of people get the 50% rate.

40%! They could just charge those people full rate and then they wont have to increase the rents!

40%! They could just charge those people full rate and then they wont have to increase the rents!

Effectively, they're charging people who used to get discounts the full rate, AND doubling the rents for everyone else.

I have just received my allotment bill for 2012 and am horrified at the increase - it's double last years'. :(

Is there an action group fighting the rent rise?

I believe the increase covers 1st April 2013 to 31st March 2014, i.e. not this year. It is a massive hike though. I wonder what we will see for that, if anything. I did notice that the council appeared to be replacing the gates on Back Lane/Hagg Lane today. I'm not sure what was wrong with the original gates though. :huh:

Just gone onto this site in pasting, write to your councillors, all of them, I have and had a reply from Diana Leek, not from the labour lot, we all need to email and keep emailing about the injustice of this raise!! I will post again about the reply I had and the person who is mostly pushing the hike in the raise of chargers. Like most of you I don't get any reductions and have to pay through the nose. It's hard trying to make ends meet as it is! Write an email and keep on, by the way elections soon!!!!!!

regards all

Steven

The amount I had to pay, I think in March, was £47. This was for a plot with water. I haven't heard anything about another increase; are the council sending letters out is there a website that I can check?

If they are using the excuse that they have raised rents to prevent loss of services, this is an out and out lie as all the rangers have been made redundant.....that's bound to have an impact on services.

I believe the increase covers 1st April 2013 to 31st March 2014, i.e. not this year. It is a massive hike though. I wonder what we will see for that, if anything. I did notice that the council appeared to be replacing the gates on Back Lane/Hagg Lane today. I'm not sure what was wrong with the original gates though. :huh:

Nothing was wrong with the old gates. There was no consultation with the allotment society, the council just sent a letter saying that they were installing new gates and then just went and did it.

The position that they put the post in for the top gates means that the truck can't back into the drive anymore to make deliveries.

It's inconvenienced and annoyed just about everybody.

In January I paid £48.90, in April 2012 when the bill comes it will be £52.60. The big increase will be April 2013, planned to be £100.00.

Those prices are for a large (300 square meter) plot with water supply on Meersbrook.

At £100 per year still cheap, affordable and great value for money.