Who can remember Norfolk Comp School on Craddock road?

Can anyone remember attending Norfolk School on Craddock road, Arbourthorne - around 1980 - 83? I remember this fantastic drama teracher we had called Dave Bradley - does anyone have any memories of the school? It is a shame but the school has now been demolished - apparently - I now live in Australia

I went to the nursery that was attached to the school in the late 1940s. one of the things I can remember is a certain smell of the stew that was served some dinner-times not a bad smell more like a nice distinctive smell, in the warmer months our daily sleep was not inside but outside in the sun. The nursery itself was at the bottom of Craddock Rd very near the Garage side wall. Another thing I can remember the sun always shone in the Summer.

I was there 1983-87.

Incidentally, someone's posted a few pictures of some of the old teachers at Norfolk on the Friendsreunited page.

Mr. Headley, Mr. Matthews, Mr Cook - They're all there!

Mr Bradley left in 1981 I think. I was about to choose drama as a o'level option but then he left - I was devastated!

I remember Andy Pack pe teacher and Mr Pyle. I heard that he was still teaching 2 years ago at a school in handsworth I think?

My Grandma still lives opposite the school site - but the area has certainly changed since I left in 1983.

I now live in australia but still have fond memories of the the school - and many of the teachers. But I must admit I gave the English teacher - 'dragon' freeman the worst time of her life - we seemed to get on each other's nerves all the time - she hated me and vice versa - funny old world - if you had said then that I would become a teacher - I would have choked with laughter! but now I teach English and Drama :)

i attended norfolk first school from the nursery in 1979 all the way until i finished school in 1990.

ive posted a few pictures of the infants school during demolition last year on friends re-united if you care to take a look.

here are a list of the teachers i went through!!

infants school:

mrs smith (headteacher)

mrs gill (f4 teacher)

mrs murphy

cant remember any more it is a long time ago!!

middle school:

miss mcGloin

mrs richmond

mr anwyl

mr jenkins (headteacher)

miss whiteley

mrs booth

mr roberts

senior school:

mrs moore (deputy headteacher)

mr pack (pe teacher who i still see time to time)

mrs gough (cookery)

mr wall (history)

mr smith (woodwork)

mr cooke (woodwork)

mr carter (science)

miss halsall (science)

miss whitehouse (languages)

mr jackson (english)

mr dimelow (science)

mr beaumont (maths)

mr crozier (maths)

miss everett (usually a stand in teacher but she took me more for languages)

miss clarke (art/textiles)

miss paige (art/textiles)

miss stanley (girls p.e.)

mr gillott

miss ross (drama)

miss bagnall (cookery)

mr pyle (english)

miss moorhouse (english)

and probably more i cant think of just now!!!!

i wish someone would start a norfolk school r.i.p. website were we could all post stuff. im sure mr pack would write an article if i asked him to.

all that is left now is the old middle school which i believe is now a school for unruly children.

So no change there then :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

It's really sad to see the school field in that state. :(

So no change there then :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

It's really sad to see the school field in that state. :(

we werent unruly.....just exciteable thugs

talking of the school field, i used to live on city road and our back garden faced the school so i couldnt even get away from it when i went home!.

mind you, it did come in handy for jumping over our wall onto when mum chased me with a rolling pin when i cheeked her lol

I went to norfolk from 1974 when i started to 1986 when i left, here are a couple of names i remember, from the infants

Miss Lister

Mrs Sissons

and from the middle school

Mr Radford,

it would be great to know what happened to all the teachers when they closed it down.

i can rememebr the art teacher but like you i cant remember his name, if i dont remember tonight i will ask my friend tomorrow she has a better memory than me and im sure she will know.

i can rememebr the art teacher but like you i cant remember his name,

David Cockings IIRC.

Do I win £10?

Can't believe i've missed this thread until now! :o

I started at Norfolk nursery in 1979 and left in 1990 so i'm pretty much sure i know you Trophyman. We must have gone through the entire school together 8)

I'm thinking of a name of someone who used to live on City Rd, opposite the Esso station. Are your initials CT? If so, your mum spent a while looking after me and my brother after school :)

It's brilliant to see all the teachers names again. Just reading them again brings back tons of memories :D

Keep the replies coming peeps, i'm loving it :wink: