Weaver to Wearer

Anybody remember a tailoring establishment that went by the name of 'Weaver to Wearer? They were a bit like Burtons. I'm not being snooty but if you had your clobber knocked up by the likes of Kearney or Barney Goodman you wouldn't go there.

A bit like the Fifty Shilling Tailors. Those were the days when you had to wear a suit and tie no matter what you could afford.

remember mi dad telling me about the fifty bob tailors

Anybody remember a tailoring establishment that went by the name of 'Weaver to Wearer? They were a bit like Burtons. I'm not being snooty but if you had your clobber knocked up by the likes of Kearney or Barney Goodman you wouldn't go there.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 19:10 ----------

Or John Collier, March the tailor, Peter Pell or Hipp's.

---------- Post added 19-06-2016 at 19:20 ----------

Where was 'Kearney's' ?

Edited by stpetre
add

...Where was 'Kearney's'?
On Rockingham Street, just off The Moor.

On Rockingham Street, just off The Moor.

Thanks Mr.H. (again). I heard of 'Barney's, Isadore Newman, Ted Williams and Furness and Dukes e.t.c but that was a new one to me.

Edited by stpetre
Spell

Yes I remember Weaver to Wearer on the Moor back in the 60,s, it was just about the cheapest place to get a suit, from about 9 pounds back then. I never went there myself, I was a regular at John Temples further up the Moor, opposite the Peace Gardens. They had great styles, Pierre Cardin etc, not cheap but a cut above Burtons, Peter Jackson etc. People who had more traditional tastes and more money went to Barney Goodmans.

Not to forget Hepworth the Tailors either, who were on a par with John Collier.

A lot of well off folk used to buy Reid and Henderson cloth and have their suits made up in Leeds, though I don't think the finish was any better than Barney Goodmans etc.

Neville Reed on Haymarket. I think they then became John Temple.

Neville Reed on Haymarket. I think they then became John Temple.

hiya i never bought a suit myself my parents bought me two per year birthday and christmas preasants anyway after i married they split the money between my wife and me,weaver to wearer was the only suit i bought it was i remember £9.19.11 around 1963, it lasted about 6 months that was the one and only time i had one from w/w

Hipps on the righthand corner looking down the Moor?, near the cinema ?, not much help but I did get a blue gabardine suit from there. Fleetwood

Hipps on the righthand corner looking down the Moor?, near the cinema ?, not much help but I did get a blue gabardine suit from there. Fleetwood

Yes Hipp's was at Pinstone Street near Charles Street. ('looking down the Moor'.) In 1960 -I was 13- my mother bought for me a grey pinstripe 'Italian style' suit, with matching cloth buttons for 11 quid and as for the term 'Bobby Dazzler'..well.... The cinema. did you mean the Hippodrome on Cambridge Street that the Grosvenor House was built on ?

Edited by stpetre
Edit