Field above Grenoside Crematorium

Does anyone know what the field above Grenoside Crematorium was once used for ..... The one with the structures in? Thanks.

Does anyone know what the field above Grenoside Crematorium was once used for ..... The one with the structures in? Thanks.

How far back?

Looking at 1900 ish and not much there then

Think they were old air raid shelters or something to do with the war, not been up in years but in the mid eighties they were like teletubby land bunkers covered in grass, we used to wag school and go up there. Inside was old army cabinets and mod stuff, used to be a tramp lived in one , we always give him our packed lunches, didn't take him long to be a fat tramp !

It was used during the war with guns and soldiers stationed there ,this is including the area where the cremetaurim is as well .During the 1960s Woodcocks used the area to export goods from local companies to other parts of the country and also abroad.

In the later years it was used for paintballing sessions .

It belonged to the Royal Ordnance during the war and was used for storing off weapons and ammunition,later on it was rented to various trades.

The last to use the site I think was Lep transport

The company was Lep Air Services. A friend of mine worked there and he dealt with a certain lorry driver who called there regularly. The driver was Peter Sutcliffe,otherwise known as The Yorkshire Ripper.

Here is a pic I took of the area a few months ago:

Skew Hill ww2 buildings.

The building right of centre was a water tower I believe.

The company was Lep Air Services. A friend of mine worked there and he dealt with a certain lorry driver who called there regularly. The driver was Peter Sutcliffe,otherwise known as The Yorkshire Ripper.

Slightly off topic, but I knew Barry Dennison, and a lad called Roland worked for LEP, probably around 1980 ish

Here is a pic I took of the area a few months ago:

Skew Hill ww2 buildings.

The building right of centre was a water tower I believe.

looks like dr who's tardis

Yep - It was an anti aircraft site during the 2nd world war - my mother was based there, she was in the ATS, and with others operated the range finders for the guns.