Shops at Sheff Lane Top

I have a picture of Sheffield Lane top which I am trying to identify the year. There are two shops on the photo. The first one is of the old Co-op ( which was there for quite a few years) next door is a shop with the name M.JOHNSTON over the door. I don't know what this shop sold but can anyone enlighten me as to when it could have been? ( this shop is now an electronic ciggy shop). Not a lot to go on but someone might know.

Could have been, also next to the co-op was a shop that sold clothes and knitting wool Mrs Knight owned it, can't remember what others were but the co-op was not the e cig place it was the shop to the left which is a grocery. It was a cycle shop after the co-op and then went back to being co-op. Just googled it and it came up with 'Ma' Johnsons newsagents

Edited by denlin

we used to pop into newsagent on way to firth park school to get a copy of the jackie and stock up on sweets for the day.

Ma Johnstons Newsagent would fit , but still would like to know what period it was. I have guessed late fifties looking at the clothes people are wearing on the photo. Sorry I can't put the photo on for people to see. Does anyone know what years the newsagent was there?

was a newsagent 69 to 72 most likely before that but they are the only years i remember it.

Hiya Lakerman, if its anything like this photo, judging by the tram timelne on Wiki.... this may be April 1960. This would be about the same period of the photo of you and me on our back step. :hihi::hihi:

Hi lakerman - "G. & M. Johnston, confectioner" is shown at 830 Barnsley Road in the directories I have from 1957 to 1971 (not listed in 1972), but they are shown at 824/826 Barnsley Road in the directories of 1951 and 1954. So if the building in the photo looks like 824/826 (next door to the Pheasant Inn) then this perhaps dates the photo a little earlier.

The Vauxhall Wyvern/ Velox in the background of THIS pic, would date it to mid 50's (ish). The Surf advert with the giraffe campaign may be more accurate but I can't find any reference to it. I'm curious about the ad next to it..

...The Surf advert with the giraffe campaign may be more accurate but I can't find any reference to it. I'm curious about the ad next to it.
It's an advert. for Rowntree's Fruit Gums that dates from 1954..:) Edited by hillsbro

It's an advert. for Rowntree's Fruit Gums that dates from 1954.

Your the man!! I thought it looked like a bowl of stew / soup etc :hihi:

Now I know, it looks obvious... strange how the mind works!

Edited by handypandy

Your the man!! I thought it looked like a bowl of stew / soup etc :hihi:
It looked like baked beans to me, but Mrs hillsbro was a fruit gum devotee and she came to the rescue!.:P