Cherrytree orphanage

Hi All,

You may remember I posted some time ago, that I was researching the cherrytree Orphanage from its beginning in1863.

Well we have started to serialize this, if you check the Totley History Group website you will be able to see how and when it all started back then by the Rev. Edward R. Taylor in 1863.

We hope to follow on with some very interesting stories later this year.

Marlene

researcher

My name is Harry Gillott i was at cherry Tree from about 1959, i was not there long. I have three othes brothers who were there also Chris, Peter and Tony. I new John James Michael Reynolds and David Kemp,If any one remembers me i would love them to get in touch at [email protected].

Harry

hi my name was denise white I was at cherrytree approx. 1963 until approx. 1970 at first with my sister sharron white then when she left to go to another home Lorraine came.the staff was mrs moore mrs archibold miss Murdock.children I remember dennis morgan tony gillot maurine hughes carol theabold.robby sharron browse.jean and Yvonne smith patsy darby ,Gillian hallam and many more.i was the first child to move into on off the new houses wih mrs moore,then someon we called aunty jean took over from mrs moore in the first house and a man and iz wife in th second house

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 19:01 ----------

It would be realy good to have contact with someone who was at cherry tree at the same time approx. 1965 to 1970.we were also at fullwood cottage homes the grove and was fostered before this time.i was vary happy at cherrytree? mr and mr archibould and there son moved into the cottage at the bottom of mickley lane .

Edited by popey
  • Thanks 1

hi, i am sandra i lived @ cherrytree orphanage in 1956 with my twin sister called marina reynolds, would luv to get in touch with old friends who lived @ cherrytree,ie... margaret woolen,ian archibald,johnathan james, michael reynolds.maureen wathall,much obliged sandra.xx

Hi Sandy - my name is Maureen Wallace, nee Wathall, and I lived at Cherrytree with my sister Sylvia, not quite sure of the years but about 1956 to 1960, I do remember you and Marie, Margaret Woollen, Michael and I think Celia Reynolds.

Also Christopher Milner and myself went to the Gregg School in Broomhall (or may be Broomhill).

My sister Sylvia still lives in Rotherham but she sent me these Sheffield Forum items on Cherrytree. Have you any photos of the kids at Cherrytree ?

I know your post is a little old now but it was very interesting to receive the items from my sister.

I am on Facebook if you would like to contact me.

ian archibould died some years ago'when I went to cherrytree with my oldersister sharron white I was eight or 9years old I can remember Yvonne and jean smith Maureen hughs carol theobold dennis organ think john james Robbie sharron browes.patsy darby,then later Gillian hallam Sylvia Roberts,baby Philip.proberly more would be nice to know what happen to some of these people.i kept in touch with mrs moore for a few years and went to her home in pocklington near York.near her daughter and grandson andrew.my younger sister Lorraine was at cherrytree for a short time when sharron left

l

Edited by popey
  • Thanks 1

Hello Susan and Ian Watson, I wasn't at Cherrytree but I do remember you from Totley County. Stuart Raw was also in my class. I'm Gillian (Gregory). Maybe you remember me. I seem to remember Miss Clareborough not showing much understanding or kindness towards you but she wasn't that nice to anyone was she? I became a nurse, moved from Totley in 1968 and had lived in Italy and Scotland before coming to Switzerland in 1977 and have lived there ever since - just retired and have 2 boys in their twenties. All the best, Gillian

Hello skyrocket, i wasn't at Cherrytree either, but i was wondering where you live in switzerland. I live just outside Lucerne.

my dad keith Harrison was in the cherry tree homes with his brother mark Harrison if anyone remembers them around 1976-86

Hi everyone... Im looking for an Anthony Higgins who spent most of his youth in care homes. a liitle time was also spent with a foster family Mr and Mrs Durkin.... Im not even sure which homes he was in as a child but I am hoping someone remembers him.. He was born in 1965 and his records go to 1981 when he was in supported accomodation. Please can anyone who may remember him contact me at [email protected]

thank you soo much in advance

Wendy

Hi chatty lady, if you are interested in names they have a full list from the very beginning of the orphanage back in 1863 I have been and looked at the books, but as I am researching the orphanage I am also speaking to some very interesting people I have left my e-mail address with jessejames.

Hope to hear from you.

Marlene,

hi there I would to contact you if poss. do you have any records to hand my father and uncle was in cherry tree around the 1970s keith Harrison and mark Harrison. im searching for their father my granddad hoping hes still alive if anyone can help ill be so grateful

Sandra! Do you know us? Ian and Susan Watson. My best friend at Cherrytree was Shelagh Plowright. We were there 1949/1960.

Hi susan i wonder if you can help me and my family. We have recently found out that my father had children from a previous marriage and that they were sent to cherry tree they were Shelagh, shirley and Graham Plowright. Any information that you can help me with would be wonderful as being the last child from my father before he died any information of family is precious to me.

My email is [email protected] if you prefer to do it privately.

Thankyou for any help

Emma.

hi my name was denise white I was at cherrytree approx. 1963 until approx. 1970 at first with my sister sharron white then when she left to go to another home Lorraine came.the staff was mrs moore mrs archibold miss Murdock.children I remember dennis morgan tony gillot maurine hughes carol theabold.robby sharron browse.jean and Yvonne smith patsy darby ,Gillian hallam and many more.i was the first child to move into on off the new houses wih mrs moore,then someon we called aunty jean took over from mrs moore in the first house and a man and iz wife in th second house

---------- Post added 22-05-2013 at 19:01 ----------

It would be realy good to have contact with someone who was at cherry tree at the same time approx. 1965 to 1970.we were also at fullwood cottage homes the grove and was fostered before this time.i was vary happy at cherrytree? mr and mr archibould and there son moved into the cottage at the bottom of mickley lane .

I was in cherry tree from about late 60's early 70's.My name is Paul Berry and I was there with my brother Gary.I remember raiding the store room and taking all the colgate so we could line our football pitch at the back of the home.Staff were not impressed:)

Hi I was in Cherrytree children's home Mickley Lane in Sheffield from 1981 too 82 it would be nice if anyone was in around the same time children or staff

Hi I was in Cherrytree children's home on Mickley Lane in Sheffield in 1981 some fun times and bad

Edited by Groose