Bessemar/Fountain/Pig and Whistle pub, Leopold street

My goodness, you're going back a bit there, bullerboY! The Buccaneer was part of the old Grand Hotel - see here.
I know,I had some good times in there I fell up the steps a few times and the girls were incredible.:D

---------- Post added 02-08-2013 at 18:38 ----------

I try to keep away from the Moor if I can help it because I start off in a good mood and when i get halfway down there i start moaning and getting depressed.I like to remember the Moor from the sixties.my thoughts on all the Sheffield councils past and present cannot be repeated on here.I remember the times when women got dressed up to go shopping in town now it is entirely the opposite.

Hi Vikki

is the lady you are referring too called Jane Bradley? She worked on the doors of the fountain bar in the late 80s. If so I may be able to help.

Could anyone rack their brains and tell me was there anything at street level above the Fountain Bar / Pig and Whistle on Leopold street ?? I can remember there was two entrances to the downstairs bar but was there anything else there any help much appreciated

I thought the fountain bar was at street level ? Or are you meaning something else ?

Laskeys I think was the shop. I remember buying my first TV from there in 1982 Hitachi 22" at a cost of £329 which unbelievably now is £1100 plus.

At some point it was also a post office

Does anyone know what year the pig & whistle shut? i suspect it was late 1980s as I seem to remember that there was a GT Sports (?) shop there for a few years in the late 80s/90s

Are we talking about the old Buccaneer here?

Yes Mr.B. It has to be the old 'Buccaneer'-closed around July 1973- the time of the demise of the old 'Grand Hotel'.The only building on that side of Leopold Street going towards West Street was the building that was used as a training centre for nurses. Previous to that it was the headquarters of 'Sheffield Education Department' and part of 'City Grammar'.

Wasn't it also called Houlihans at one point too?

Does anyone know what year the pig & whistle shut? i suspect it was late 1980s as I seem to remember that there was a GT Sports (?) shop there for a few years in the late 80s/90s

Yes G.T. Sports forgot about them, full of overpriced fake phonies and the sports gear wasn't too great either !

Thank you hillsbro for the photo of the buccaneer. Lots of happy times and pounds sterling spent in its hallowed bar. Never thought as a youngster listening to the songs from the stars of the day that I would end up working for one of the most famous of them all in Beverly Hills. Nice man and not tight at all as he is reputed to be. Glad he just got his knighthood.