hi I went to Holland with SUT in 1966. 1st trip abroad with a friend courtesy of a £28 gift. That £28 gave me 3 holidays that year. Those were the days.

it was a good year to go as all the boys talked to us as we came from Sheffield and of course we had just won the world cup and they had watched the football from the Wednesday ground.

We went to the Alkmaar cheese market and to Zuider Zee where people still dressed in the old Dutch costumes. strange but I never went anywhere again until the 90's

Former SUT reliance 374 as been acquired by Andrews of Tideswell and will be class 6 so it cAn be used commercially

I was interested to hear SUT man mention the possibility of 'uncle Sim' being Sim Rieuwerts, a Dutchman. I'm pretty sure this must be right because when we went to Belgium he was attempting to teach us some Flemish, I remember him being fluent.

It was the bus co SUT they couldn't use the name Sheffield United tours as that is. a registered name understand it's now owned by Wallace Arnold

Wallace Arnold now owned by Shearings.

Remember SUT taking us to Birmingham airport for a holiday in Spain back in the 60's,there was a long flight delay even then so they took us to a night club in the city centre where Bobby Vee was top of the bill.Would it happen now?

Wallace Arnold now owned by Shearings.

The merger / buyout was if I remember rightly Wallace Arnold bought shearings but unusually they then used the shearings name. Iam sure this is what happened

However , in connection with the thread the Sheffield United tours name/ brand us invested in the Wallace Arnold company or its successors

It was the bus co SUT they couldn't use the name Sheffield United tours as that is. a registered name understand it's now owned by Wallace Arnold

The bus company part? Didn't YTC (Now of Stagecoach) take Them over ?

The SUT name could be used and was used by the deregulation bus co as SUT wasn't registered ( i understand they wanted to use Sheffield United tours but couldn't as it was registered). Not 100 percent sure what happened with SUT if it ended up with tracky or SYT/MAINLINE as it gets very complicated.

The SUT name may now be registered as part of the dereg story.

Interesting, Thanks. I noticed that some of the SUT Bus photos i linked to were based at a YTC depot.

Sheffield United Tours Limited was established in March 1935. In January 1969 it became a constituent of the National Bus Company and in January 1974 was renamed National Travel (North East) Limited. It became part of the Central Activities Group of the National Bus Company in April 1972.

A National Holidays division was established to undertake the holidays and tours side of coaching, but through privatisation was taken over by the Pleasurama Group (owners of Shearings) on 14th July 1986 for the sum of £2.5 million.

What was left of the Sheffield operation was later acquired by Mr Tony Lavin (ATL Ltd) who also owned Excelsior of Dinnington, the Carlton PSV Dealership and Yelloway of Rochdale. This takeover was effected on 29th January 1987 for the sum of £600,000. Initially the company was renamed NTL Coaches Ltd but eventually renamed SUT Ltd (this was Sheffield United TRANSPORT). By July 1989 ATL had themselves been taken over by National Express.

Busman was correct when saying that the original Sheffield United Tours name was in later years owned by Wallace Arnold.

I know it's confusing but Sheffield United Tours and Sheffield United Transport were not the same company even though the latter company also operated from the same Charlotte Road garage.