Viaduct & Station Hotel, Wicker. When Did they Close?

And then we got the Oil int rooad. a bit further on towards Attercliffe now a car show room.

Hello Zakes the pubs you mention the one Bull and Oak I think it was the Bull and Mouth,going back to the snooker table in the Station when it was taken out it was sold to the Brown Baileys sports club on Prince of Wales road. It also came out after it was sold that all the top snooker players used it Fred and Joe Davis just a couple of the big names.A lot of snooker matches were played at the Station It was always kept in perfect condition.

alan p.

And then we got the Oil int rooad. a bit further on towards Attercliffe now a car show room.

Ā 

Wasnt it called the Hole in the Wall?

Hello Zakes the pubs you mention the one Bull and Oak I think it was the Bull and Mouth,going back to the snooker table in the Station when it was taken out it was sold to the Brown Baileys sports club on Prince of Wales road. It also came out after it was sold that all the top snooker players used it Fred and Joe Davis just a couple of the big names.A lot of snooker matches were played at the Station It was always kept in perfect condition.

alan p.

Ā 

The Bull and Oak was in the Wicker on the same side as the Brown Cow. The Bull and Mouth is still there under a different name, not in the Wicker but at the bottom of Waingate.

Wasnt it called the Hole in the Wall?

Sorry that was it ,Sheffield seems to get rid of owt wi a oil in it:hihi:

Ā 

---------- Post added 21-06-2016 at 17:10 ----------

Ā 

The Bull and Oak was in the Wicker on the same side as the Brown Cow. The Bull and Mouth is still there under a different name, not in the Wicker but at the bottom of Waingate.

The bull and mouth will soon be an upmarket pub catering for tourists who will be flocking to see the Castle that is buried under the Market.

The Wicker will become the new Eccy road with parasols out side the sisha bars and palm trees down the middle.

That just leaves the Norfolk where the rapidly disappearing locals can be seen and heard theeing and thouing or effing and tuffing.

Sorry zakes my mistake:blush: alan p.

Ā 

Bull and Mouth is now Tap and Barrel, according to street view on google.

Pubs In The Wicker.

Ā 

I first became acquainted with the Wicker pubs at the beginning of the 70ā€™s. At that time I was working for Wigfalls on Walker St., manually stacking very heavy washing machines three high. If memory serves, the pubs were:-

Ā 

Bull and Oak ā€“ Whitbread

Brown Cow ā€“ Stones

Station Hotel ā€“ Tetley

Viaduct ā€“ Tetley

White Lion ā€“ Tetley

Big Gun ā€“ Stones.

Ā 

We work-mates often played snooker at lunch-times in the Station. Sometimes we would go after work to play table football intā€™ Big Gun. I called in the Big Gun about a year ago for a liquid lunch.

Ā 

Itā€™s been mentioned on this thread that the Viaduct may have been closed due to drug dealing. It annoys me to read (hear) about this, because surely the Manager, Landlord, Owners (Brewery), Police and or Council have the power to kick out the dealers. Or is it a feeble excuse by the owners who want to close-down due to lack of trade? Landlords of the past used to sling any ā€˜bad ā€˜unsā€™ out onto the street.

Ā 

Anyroad, I only wanted to type a few lines in response to the mention of Douglas Davidson on this thread.

Douglas Davidson. ā€“ A bloke who was double-reight.

Ā 

I first came across Doug in 1973ish when he was serving pints at The Penny Black (Whitbread), situated on Pond Hill. I didnā€™t see him often though because I didnā€™t usually sup in that area. Although I rarely spoke with him at the Penny Black, I was quite aware of his friendly and humorous chatter. He often used the word ā€˜brotherā€™ when greeting male customers. If I remember rightly , he once said he was originally from Attercliffe. He worra thin bloke who enjoyed his cigs, which were Embassy Regal at the time.

Ā 

Although I may be a little out regarding dates it was about ā€™73-74 when Doug and his missus, Beryl took on the Albert (Whitbread). I was a regular at that pub which I thought had the best jukebox in town. After a few weeks, Dou g had assertained I worra decent lad, he then offered me a job at the pub: A glass collector and glass washer on Friday and Saturday evenings at Ā£1.50 a shift, = Ā£3. At that time I was working at Globe & Simpson on West Street for 8 quid a week including oā€™ertime. What Doug offered was a decent wage when one considered bitter was about 14 pence a pint, and ten cigs were about 10 pence. I was paid cash-in-hand by Doug.

Ā 

Apart from Ā£1.50 an evening, this is what I was also offered:

Ā 

1. A yellow T-shirt with the name Stekka Artois emblazoned across the chest in red letters. This was my work ā€˜uniformā€™.

2. Allowed to sup a couple of halves behind the bar whilst working.

3. Allowed to smoke in all areas including behind the bar during a shift.

4. I could take home with me any cellophane wrapped sandwiches left over from the the end of the bar, the right end of the bar near to where the Doozy pinball machine stood, next to the window on the Division Street end of the pub. I must have pulled a funny (strange) face when Doug offered me the sandwiches because he went on to say, words similar toā€¦...ā€Thiz nowt wrong wiā€™ a bit of nice boiled ham, anā€™ tā€™others have got proper chayz (cheese) on ā€˜em. Itā€™s not that chayz tha gets frum behind thi fā€¦ā€¦n! Lol!

5. A taxi home from work. I donā€™t know whether it was Doug or Whitbread who paid for my GleadlessTownend bound taxi, but I warnt complaininā€™. After work, when the other staff had gone home, Doug, Beryl and em would have a chat. Doug would phone for a taxi (black cabs then) for me, and buy me a pint (trophy). When the taxi driver arrived, then knocked ontā€™ door, Doug would tell him Iā€™d (me) be out in ten minutes. The driver would then wait in his cab (imagine ā€˜em waiting these days. Lol.). I didnā€™t often take the taxi though, because after the pub had closed Iā€™d join mi mates intā€™ Penthouse on Dixon Lane.

Ā 

The job was during the summer months so it didnā€™t interfere with any hobbies or pastimes I hadā€¦ā€¦football etc.

Ā 

I worked at the Albert for about 8 weeks. I was sick and tired of my mates coming in and teasing me about them having a good time. I felt I was missing out.

Ā 

Doug and Beryl were people I liked with their informal way, but I also liked Bill and Maggie Stewart at the Foresters in their formal way.

Ā 

R.I.P. Douglas.

Ā 

Ā 

Now that Iā€™ve mentioned Foresters. Does anybody remember a bloke who worked there at weekends? He was called Stan and collected glasses and called last orders and time. He had He had one of those loud voices that carried. He wore a short fawn coloured smock, the type barbers used to wear.

I knew Dougie from Gower Street, where he worked behind the bar at the Grapes (still open) he was a great character, he also used to work with my late Father driving lorries.