Sheffield sayings and rhymes

I've never heard nesh used to mean scared. Nesh means you're not hardy (eg. you feel the cold easily)

Yitten means scared or cowardly, it's what thi call thi when that freetened.

correct deedar that reight theer. sum orum no nowt eh.

Edited by willybite

Today a friend and i was having a conversation with an elderly lady, she said someone was obstropulous, and that they could stop a nine day clock! is it old sheffield twang or what!

hhiya lilylager da started summat wi dis thred abet da dint think thad gerr as meny leters as thas ad did tha, god i amt spoke like dis for yonks mind it keeps mi brane tikkin, av never ritten owt like dis befoor eyeder tanks.

canda remember anybody that was tall being called" longshanks" or tu se tu a lass tha reminds me ora film staar.... lassie

Edited by willybite

We used to live next door to a bloke that my Mum and Dad called 'Asda' because he was always asking, "As da got" something or other he wanted to borrow.

Have a look at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com for 'First Job' - a Sheffield story.

'Asda' sounds a bit like 'aster'. My grandad always said 'aster' (i.e. 'hast thou') and 'wilter' (i.e. wilt thou') instead of 'have you' and 'will you'. So he might say "aster bin ooam?", "aster gorr any fags" or "wilter lend me a bob?" etc.

that reminded me of the sheffield bus drivers who used to refer to the OAPs as "twirlies", as in "am ah too early"

I once asked my mother how to pronounce either "Is it eether or ither? " I asked...

she didn't look up, and said "nayther" ~ thx mam.:suspect:

does anyboy else say "standing 'ere like clem"?

and whois clem?

my OH thinks i made it up! but i have always said it, must have come from school:loopy::loopy:

I used a lot of Sheffield slang and dialect in the first drafts of 'First Job' but reviewers complained that they spent too much time trying to understand what Dave and Phil were on about so I had to tone it down a bit.

Read it at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com

No Maxine Smith it was not made up, my Mum used to use the exact expression when she was kept waiting or left standing "I'm standing here like clem", another of her expressions was a compliment when we looking smart and well turned out, she would say "You look like a new scraped carrot"

'Standing theer like clem'. I always thought it meant standing around looking dumb or something. Or, I've heard the expression 'I'm bloody clammed', meaning hungry.

Both these have been kicked around on another thread, I think, but I'm still not totally clear where, or from what, they originate.

When did anybody last hear the expression 'new laid egg', like in a recipe 'Take a new laid egg'. The only time you'd actually get a new laid egg nowadays is to keep fowls, and then you'd have to stick your hand under the rear end of your favorite bird. (I should edit that last bit really, but no).

that reminded me of the sheffield bus drivers who used to refer to the OAPs as "twirlies", as in "am ah too early"

A new expression, came about when OAP's were given free bus passes.