Wrongly priced items, should shop honour price?

I handed an item to the cashier, who told me that by mistake it had the wrong sticker price on it. She told me the real price and asked me if I still wanted the item. I said no.

If a shop assistant has put the wrong price on an item, shouldn't the cashier honour that price?

i once bought some laminate flooring from wickes ,sticker price said x amount per pack but when i got to checkout was told it was this other price but the duty manager checked sticker price and sold me items at reduced price due to it being their mistake

the price displayed should be honoured - unless the original (correct) price is also clearly displayed....

The display price doesnt have to be honoured, I think its just classed as an invitation to trade or something similar.

If the item has gone through the till at the incorrect price its then a contract and theres nothing the store can do about it.

Edited to add...

In stores:

If an item is priced incorrectly on the shelf, or scans at the wrong price at the till, retailers are under no obligation to honour it, under the Sale of Goods Act. They can offer the item at the correct price or refuse your money and withdraw the product from sale.

If a pricing mistake is not noticed and the customer pays for an item at the reduced cost, the purchase is considered a legally binding contract between the retailer and the customer. The shop has no legal right to claw back any money if it later realises there has been an error.

From...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/10602641/Price-glitches-Do-retailers-have-to-honour-pricing-mistakes.html

Edited by nikki-red

Its called an invitation to treat. Effectively its an invitation for you to offer them a price for the goods or service

No shop has an obligation to sell anybody any item at any time in law. They can deny service at their own discretion with or without giving a reason. Clearly that wouldn't be very good for their profits, but it's enshrined in law that they do not HAVE to sell to anybody, they have the right to decline to do business with people at their discretion and they could, quite lawfully, pick something out of your basket, tell you that they're no longer going to sell it and disappear off with all of the stock off the shelves if they saw fit to do it.

No shop has an obligation to sell anybody any item at any time in law. They can deny service at their own discretion with or without giving a reason. Clearly that wouldn't be very good for their profits, but it's enshrined in law that they do not HAVE to sell to anybody, they have the right to decline to do business with people at their discretion and they could, quite lawfully, pick something out of your basket, tell you that they're no longer going to sell it and disappear off with all of the stock off the shelves if they saw fit to do it.

This seems similar to the notice you see in pubs

“We reserve the right to refuse to serve patrons". :suspect:

This seems similar to the notice you see in pubs

“We reserve the right to refuse to serve patrons". :suspect:

Licensed premises display these notices because ...............

It is illegal to knowingly sell alcohol to a person who is drunk.

i think they try and price change, so when we get to the till we feel embarrassed and pay full price anyway.

No shop has an obligation to sell anybody any item at any time in law.

Unless it's a cake being sold to a gay couple?

Unless it's a cake being sold to a gay couple?

No, they could refuse to do business with anybody, but if they agreed to do business with everybody else and only refused to sell a cake to one group then they are discriminating. They can refuse business but not discriminate, and they would be as guilty of discriminating if they refused to sell to people of a certain skin colour, or people with disabilities.

They don't have to honour the price but it is an offence to knowingly advertise the incorrect/misleading price.