1.15 Million for ex-council flat!

Build a flat in London for 30k ? That really would be an awful place to live. Tenants genuinely would gave something to complain about.

I said a house, but you could also build a flat for that price. A very good one too. Much better than the homes being built today.

What about one of these flat pack homes for £30k? = http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/architecture-design-blog/2014/feb/14/richard-rogers-and-ymca-unveil-30k-flatpack-homes-for-homeless-people

Well it's better than sleeping on the streets.

Can't see how you can build a house let alone buy a plot of land in London for 30k.

Well it's better than sleeping on the streets.

Can't see how you can build a house let alone buy a plot of land in London for 30k.

You can build a house, you can't buy the plot.

You can build a house, you can't buy the plot.

It wouldn't be a nice one.

It wouldn't be a nice one.

Are you kidding?! You could build a really nice, high quality, eco friendly home for £30k. No problem. Cost of the land us obviously not included.

Comparing it to other properties doesn't make it cheap. It's still overpriced, as is the rest of the London market. I'd hate to live down there. Ordinary working folk must be in constant fear of losing their homes.

Unfortunately it's called Capitalism and this is the way it works.

Woman walks into a store and hands the assistant a carton of milk to buy for her baby.

Another man comes in and says you've taken the last one off the shelf. I want that milk to bathe my feet in. Man tells the shop assistant, I'll offer you double the price for that milk. The assistant happily gives it to him for double the price.

It's called Capitalism, where morals go out the window.

I'm sure I read one of your posts the other day where you made a terribly insulting lowball offer on a house which had been repossessed from a poor family. Morals out the window when capitalism and opportunity meet eh poppets. :hihi:

I'm sure I read one of your posts the other day where you made a terribly insulting lowball offer on a house which had been repossessed from a poor family. Morals out the window when capitalism and opportunity meet eh poppets. :hihi:

The owner was a solicitor who had been struck off! (Don't know what a solicitor has to do to get struck off!). :suspect: He rented it out for months and did a runner with the rent. The bank repossessed it, which is why it was over-priced.

I have no sympathy for banks.:gag:

The owner was a solicitor who had been struck off! (Don't know what a solicitor has to do to get struck off!). :suspect: He rented it out for months and did a runner with the rent. The bank repossessed it, which is why it was over-priced. I have no sympathy for banks.:gag:

So you're saying that if the house had been repossessed from a family you wouldn't have bought it had your lowball offer been accepted? Is that what you're saying poppet$? Watch that halo of yours, it might fall off when you wriggle.

Unfortunately it's called Capitalism and this is the way it works.

Woman walks into a store and hands the assistant a carton of milk to buy for her baby.

Another man comes in and says you've taken the last one off the shelf. I want that milk to bathe my feet in. Man tells the shop assistant, I'll offer you double the price for that milk. The assistant happily gives it to him for double the price.

Surely that's how it was in the former Soviet Bloc,only one shop and the only shop only had one carton of milk.

Capitalism - you go to the next shop and they are flogging it at £1 for two litres and it's so cheap we can be like Cleopatra and bathe in the stuff.

So what if he pays £1000 p/m to a "Tory Councillor". What's that got to do with anything.

Rent is dictated by the location and market rate. Wandsworth is a very popular area in Greater London. If your "friend" does not want to pay much they should move. They chose the property.

A quick search on just one property site shows 2500+ private rental properties under £1000 a month within 10 miles of Oxford Street. There are one bedroomed properties from 450 a month and bedsits for a little as 300 a month. Open up the travel distance a little further and there are even 2 bedroomed flat/houses falling into the <£1k bracket.

Expensive? yes. But so are all other Capital Cities if you choose to live close to the centre. £300? £450? Extortionate? NO.

As fully explained in post 21 the point is he shouldn't be profiteering from social housing at the tax payers expense.

Balham is zone 3 which isn't central. Cheapest on Rightmove is £390 PCM for bedsits or HMO's in zones 5 or 6, or no tube stations / poor transport connections. London is complex and much bigger than Sheffield. Living further field simply isn't feasible for everyone.

Surely that's how it was in the former Soviet Bloc,only one shop and the only shop only had one carton of milk.

Capitalism - you go to the next shop and they are flogging it at £1 for two litres and it's so cheap we can be like Cleopatra and bathe in the stuff.

Mass produced at the expense of animal welfare and the farmers themselves. Exploitation is at the heart of globalisation.