St Catherine's RC School, Andover Street

Is there anyone out there who went to St Catherine's School when it was on Andover Street during the above years? If there is, can you remember the following teachers:

Sister Bertrand

Sister Raphael

Sister Concepta

Sister Cecelia

Sister Gonzaga (aka Sister Gonbarmy!)

Mrs Smith

Mrs Farnell

Mrs Bower (nee Anganotti)

Mrs Leahy

The old St Catherine's was a big, black Victorian old building (even then) with the personality of a slum (said with great affection!) with toilets which would be condemned in these health & safety regs days!

When we were juniors, we had to trek up the road to an old hall (which is still there) in order to eat the slops they had to give us. It must have cost all of tuppence (old money) per person!

Does anyone remember Mrs Dignam, the cleaner?

Ah - sweet memories! :)

my first school in 1950 i remember a miss aseldine and sister mercy i left when i was 8 and went to st thomas mores where sister mercy was head mistress she was strict but fair as were most of the teachers

can remember all theold houses round andover st most of my class lived in the area when st peters openeda lot of pupils from st caths went there so we palled up again

It's nice to hear from someone who remembers old St Caths and Andover Street. Since I went there in 1959, I don't know the teachers you mention and, of course, went to St Peter's, which now does not exist.

my first school in 1950 i remember a miss aseldine and sister mercy i left when i was 8 and went to st thomas mores where sister mercy was head mistress she was strict but fair as were most of the teachers

can remember all theold houses round andover st most of my class lived in the area when st peters openeda lot of pupils from st caths went there so we palled up again

I also went to St Catherines 1952-58 then to St Thomas Moores and onto Saint peters I remember all these teachers especialy Sister Mercy do you remember Mister Fitzpatrick head at Saint Peters I lovedmy schooldays.

Hi I was at St Catherines in 1952 -59 then onto Saint Thomas Moores and Saint Peters I remember all the teachers you mentioned and yes Sister Mercy was so strict do you rmember Mister Fitzpatrick at Saint Peters.

Edited by hayward
Iposted myself twice by mistake

hi hayward

i was 2 years in front of you so it must be a older sister i remember

a florence hayward was in my class

Hi rabitter you might remember my sister, Pat Wood she was in your class. she was a friend of Linda Ford & Florence Hayward, I was in the same class as Pat Hayward. Started there in 1945. Remember my first teachers Miss Smith, Miss Beaumont, Miss Connelly and my favourite Miss O' Hara.

hi wynne

i remember pat wood but cant place linda ford it seems so long ago now

when st petes opened a lot from st caths came and we all left in 1960

miss ohara was my favourite as well

Is there anyone out there who went to St Catherine's School when it was on Andover Street during the above years? If there is, can you remember the following teachers:

Sister Bertrand

Sister Raphael

Sister Concepta

Sister Cecelia

Sister Gonzaga (aka Sister Gonbarmy!)

Mrs Smith

Mrs Farnell

Mrs Bower (nee Anganotti)

Mrs Leahy

The old St Catherine's was a big, black Victorian old building (even then) with the personality of a slum (said with great affection!) with toilets which would be condemned in these health & safety regs days!

When we were juniors, we had to trek up the road to an old hall (which is still there) in order to eat the slops they had to give us. It must have cost all of tuppence (old money) per person!

Does anyone remember Mrs Dignam, the cleaner?

Ah - sweet memories! :)

When to St Cath's 1962 to 1968 and remember most of the teachers you have mention. Also when onto St Peter's

Mrs Dignam lived a couple of roads away (remember all the back to backs). On a Friday afternoon my older brothers would go swimming at Sutherland Road baths and they were supposed to come back for me to take me home but they usually forgot. I would go to Mrs Dignam's home with her and wait for my dad to come. I didn't mind that much because she had a telly and I could watch Rintintin.

I loved my time at St. Caths and knew all the teachers mentioned. Mrs Garrity was the head of the infants.

Mrs Dignam lived a couple of roads away (remember all the back to backs). On a Friday afternoon my older brothers would go swimming at Sutherland Road baths and they were supposed to come back for me to take me home but they usually forgot. I would go to Mrs Dignam's home with her and wait for my dad to come. I didn't mind that much because she had a telly and I could watch Rintintin.

I loved my time at St. Caths and knew all the teachers mentioned. Mrs Garrity was the head of the infants.

Yes, I remember Mrs Dignam with great affection. The things she had to clean up! That lady was a star! The name Mrs Garrity rings a bell but, for some reason, I thought Mrs Smith was head of the infants?

Miss Smith was the teacher of Infants II in my day. I particularly remember Miss Garrity because one day when everyone had gone and I was left behind again, she said I had beautiful curly hair and when I grew up I would be glad of the curls. I was busy crying at the time and said I hated curly hair. A five year old's memory!