Dannemora Brass Band from late 1800s

Is there anyone who has any information on the Dannemora band?

My Grandfather was president of the band in the early1900s and travelled with them to Paris. I am finding it very hard to find anything out about them and would love for any information. Also would love to hear from anyone who's relatives perhaps played in the band.

My great-grandfather was a professional musician in Sheffield between about 1890 and 1914 and I know he played in some of the concert halls. May be he played in the band you mentioned. Were they based in Sheffield?

My great-grandfather was a professional musician in Sheffield between about 1890 and 1914 and I know he played in some of the concert halls. May be he played in the band you mentioned. Were they based in Sheffield?

The Dannemora Prize band was a works band from Greenland Road which was part of Balfours. I have a picture of the band at Sheffield train station (not sure which one) on thier way to paris . 24 May 1912

Dannemora Band played at Wendnesday's home games for many years. They used to practice in Balfour's canteen in the Wicker (now demolised) - one night in the week and Sunday mornings. My father had two friends who played in the band in the 40's & 50's: Bill Snidal and John Ashmore.

Falls

Twirly the picture you are talking about was taken outside Victoria Station in Sheffield when the band was on its way to Paris.I think it was taken in1912

Stan Wilson was a cornet player with the Dannemora Brass Band in the late 1940's early 1950's. Competed in a Hughie Green Talent Show held at was then the Capitol cinema Sheffield Lane Top.

Edited by Grandad1

Stan Wilson was a cornet player with the Dannemora Brass Band in the late 1940's early 1950's. Competed in a Huy Greenn Talent Show held at was then the Capito cinema.l

Didn't Joan Hynd (not sure about the spelling) begin playing with Dannemora in the same time period ?

My Father-in-law played in Dannemora band from the late 1940s to mid 1960s. His name was Clifford Dear. He played soprano cornet during the early years and later was a renowned euphonium player in the band. In 1962 my husband Kevan Dear joined the band playing trombone. They both left the band in 1965 to join Meersbrook Band also in Sheffield where my father, Donald Hill, was the conductor. Dannemora Band was famous throughout Sheffield for being a top class band. Their uniform was very distinctive and colourful. Other members of the band whose names I can recall are Fred Tuckwood, Colin Ellis (a superb cornet player) and Cyril Colne. I think most of these players learned to play in the Salvation Army Band in Sheffield.